(22) The Explanation

“Fuck” Louis exclaimed as the line went dead and he realised what he'd done. He slowly let the phone in his hand sink to his side before he angrily threw it in to the wall, smashing it in to small pieces.

Yesterday everything was fine. Yesterday he would never have thought that it would come down to this. Him breaking up with Harry and Zayn and Niall torn apart. Heck, he didn't even know they were a thing at that point.

But it was for the best. Harry would've found out about Zayn and Louis at one point and he definitely couldn't do that. It is and always will be a secret.

When he got back in to the living room Zayn had sat down on the couch and wasn't pacing back and forth anymore. He had his face buried in his hands, trying his best to stay calm. 

“I broke up with Harry” Louis mumbled, barely over a whisper.

“What?” Zayn said as he lifted his head from his hands, glancing over at Louis where he was standing in the doorway.

Louis sighed. “I broke up with Harry” he repeated himself, speaking a bit louder now. Zayn's mouth fell open in shock.

“You what?” he cried as he jumped up from his seat. He run over to Louis and when he got there he threw his hands around the lads body. “I'm sorry. I could tell you really like him”

“I did” Louis said, but quickly corrected himself. “I do”

“Then why?”

“Because it's not right to either of us” Louis complained as he took a step back from Zayn's firm hold. “I don't want to pretend to be someone I'm not, and I don't want him to be with me when I can't give him everything he needs”

“I see what you're getting at, but it was a bit stupid of you to do it over the phone” Zayn said, looking Louis sternly in the eye. “You should go talk to him. Give him an explanation”

“But I just told him I needed some distance. Isn't it weird if I call him ten minutes later and ask him to meet me?” Louis asked, confused. Why the hell had he done something so stupid? And over the phone of all things!

“Well, it's late. Go to bed and then call him tomorrow” Zayn suggested as he wrapped his arms around his roommate again. “Everything will be alright. I promise”

“You think so?” Louis asked, not really feeling convinced.

“I do. Now get that hot arse of yours to bed” Zayn laughed, smacking Louis over the bum as he walked of.

“Don't be lying awake all night thinking about Niall now Zayn” Louis said as he walked in to the hallway.

Yeah right. Now that Louis said all that about being unfair for Harry to be with him Zayn suddenly felt even more insecure. He couldn't be with Niall. Not like this. The only thing he really wanted to do right now was to crawl over to that boy and apologize and tell him everything, but he couldn't do that. No. He had to pull himself together, and suck it up.