Chapter 36 Half Way out of the Dark

"Excuse us," a musical voice called from the stairway above the console room.

 Flashing an embarrassed smile, River swiped at her tears and pulled back from Jack grateful their guests chose that moment to make an appearance The moment of maudlin self indulgence in fear had passed.‭ She turned her full attention to the group where all their hope lay. The dramatic change in the Vshakians was every bit as startling as Jack suggested. ‬They all had transformed from their pale blue, almost ethereal appearances to petite, olive-skinned beauties. Dark eyes framed by long eyelashes set off their delicate facial features.

K’Nar and‭ ‬Nela‭ stood in front of the Queen dressed in long dresses that Jack explained were called abayas. Fine gold embroidery decorated the neckline and hem of K'Nar's pale purple dress while Nela wore a simple ‭grey dress with beaded black cording. With their typical hijabs, ‬they looked‭ ‬like typical Eastern European Muslim young teens. The abayas worn by the elegant Queen and her aid gave them a more professional but just as stunning appearance. Too cute for words, Jack made a mental note to make sure they were always accompanied by a member of the team.‭ He didn’t intend to take chances that overzealous teenage boys might spot them in Elizabeth.‭ ‬ ‬

All in all, the last next hours on-board proved incredibly fruitful,  They reviewed early 21st century Earth history, practised greetings and customs and tasted local food provided by the ship. They spent two hours alone practising typical human greetings.‭ Getting the women to stop calling everyone My Lord or Lady proved a little tricky.‭ It was a hard habit to overcome in a short amount of time, but they finally managed through fits of giggles to accomplish the simple feat. ‬

The moment came when Jack looked over at River and flashed a smile.  It was time to go home.

“‬What's in your ear?” ‬K’Nar asked as she and Nela came bouncing down the steps toward them, leaving the Queen and her aide standing at the top of the stairs.

He glanced down at the mobile on his belt and touched the earwig.‭ ‬A smile crossed his face at the realisation that a race of telepaths would have no concept of the‭ ‬21st century device.‭ A quick nod to the Queen and he launched into an explanation.

“It’s called a telephone.‭ ‬This particular is a mobile or cell phone that bounces its signal off the time vortex and can reach any phone anywhere the technology exists.‭

“As long as you have the area code,‭” ‬River quipped.

‬"Yea, well -- anyway," Jack said as he pulled a face before turning back to K'Nar. "The thing in my ear lets me listen and talk while leaving my hands free.‭”

‭“‬It’s like a mechanical telepathic link‭?” Nela asked as she stepped next to her mistress.

“Well, ‭ ‬yeah, ‭ ‬I suppose, ‭ ‬but I can’t hear their thoughts, ‭ ‬only their words.‭”

K’Nar just shook her head.

When his mobile rang, Jack jumped pulling a face at River's smirk  making K’Nar giggle. "Ianto Jones, where are you?" Jack grinned as he spoke to the Welshman.

"We are just flying over Pennsylvania, sir. We should be landing in two hours and twelve minutes -- our time."

"Very good and our covers are intact, I assume?"

"Absolutely, sir. Gwen and Rhys send their regards."

"See you soon." Jack smiled warmly when he clicked the connection off. He did miss the man.

"Okay," he looked at River, "Yan will be landing in two hours and twelve minutes. That means we need to set coordinates to land in two hours and thirty-two minutes, and no one will know we aren't coming back from the airport. I love it when a plan comes together." He allowed himself a small chuckle as he rubbed his hands together. They were both glad this was nearly over.