Chapter 19 When I get out of Here, I am Cutting Down That Damn Tree

(Thirty-six hours after falling out the vortex)

Thete opened a bleary eye to see sunlight peeking through the window blind hanging on his room's only window. A miserable night plagued with nightmares and sick left him aching and thick-headed. It didn't seem possible, but he'd actually managed to discover a new way to be miserable: the inability of making a simple wee. Nothing, not even the stench that came from sick up could compare to the pain. And all because he'd tugged on the blasted catheter during a stupid dream. Having a baby couldn't be that dreadful. Not that he ever intended to have a baby. He wanted to crawl in a hole and die when Sally had to irrigate the stupid tube shoved in his manhood.

The therapist who insisted on breathing treatments added to his frustration, They weren't treatments, They were torture designed by some sadist for the sole purpose of splitting his ribs apart. She or one of her minions traipsed in every four hours disturbing what little sleep he'd managed. Then morning came, bringing a flurry of smiling techs all saying the same thing.

"Good morning, Mr Smith, you're looking better this morning, we just need a little blood/an x-ray/ need a .... They all needed something that inevitably caused pain.

But, now, just for this moment, things were quiet, almost peaceful. He ignored the stab of pain in his shoulder as he rolled his head over to watch Sarah knit. The rhythmic motion of the knitting needles were fascinating, and strangely brought a sense of peace. They moved like lightning, and if he focused hard enough, the shape forming brought order out of confusion.

Sarah looked content sitting next to him. He wasn't sure why, but the relaxed attitude she exuded made him feel safe from the monsters hiding in the shadows. It didn't make a lot of sense that a grown man would be afraid of monsters in the dark, but .... Thete swallowed hard as he realised how these Americans made him feel. Being alone, without memory, wasn't as scary if he pretended that they were his family. A family who genuinely cared for him, like the ones that he heard outside his room. He had a strange feeling that he hadn't felt safe or loved for a long time.

Maybe, just maybe, he thought wistfully, they'll  help find her.

The thought brought a tiny smile. Hopefully, not enough for outsiders to see: that was critical. The monsters didn't like smiling, and most of the people on the other side of the door were still strangers making them potential monsters. Or strangers who could -- possibly -- be connected to the monsters waiting for him to break the rules. Part of Thete knew the thought wasn't rational. If he could just remember what the monsters looked like.

This morning, when Wilson asked what he remembered, he given the same answers he'd given since waking up in the cubicle - K'Nar and the alley. In truth, that wasn't all he remembered. He remembered the mind-numbing fear and hands that produced unending pain. And he remembered the Voice. He didn't tell anyone that, but he hoped it was finally over. He blinked when Sarah looked over with devilishly wide eyes.

"I can stare too, you know." She chuckled. "How are you feeling? You slept an entire thirty minutes. I think -- you set a new record."

"I don't like sleeping. I always wake up trying to figure out what I missed -- whom I missed."

"Mmm. You didn't answer the question. How are you feeling?"

"Okay, I guess. My head hurts. Is Dragon Lady coming back?"

"Her name is Berta, and she is very nice. She won't be back for an hour. If you coughed better, she wouldn't torture you; you know."

"Coughing hurts. Makes my chest feel as if it will split open and my insides feel as if they're going to fall out. Ranks right up there with the sick," he whinged. "What time is it?"