day 27: dialogue

a/n: this dialogue takes place in the danger days/killjoy universe. the scene is an interaction between two killjoys who are going to attempt to invade the better living headquarters the next day - the biggest fight they've undertaken.  also yay i'm finally updating this!

hey.

hey.

you look pale. your eyes've lost their sparkle.

*sigh* i'm scared.

you? scared? you've massacred millions of dracs before. why is this any different?

i know, but, tomorrow's the fight of our lives, man, we could-

we could die tomorrow.

yeah.

and why does that scare you?

what if i never see any of you again? what if i die in your arms, or worse, you die in mine?

we're killjoys.

of that i am well aware.

killjoys aren't meant to survive, baby. we live fast and die young. that's just how it is.

that's not *splutters* fair.

none of this is. and yet, what can we do? 

but that- that's just not right, i- i mean, if we die tomorrow, who's gonna save the world then?

killjoys aren't meant to save the world. they aren't. all we're here to do is light a manic fire and burn the whole desert down. we aren't good people, kid. no one out here is. we're all shades of grey that shine in the desert sun but fade in the winter's night.

goddamn it, your metaphors aren't helping.

but they're the ugly truth. they're a bitter pill we have no choice but to swallow.

*scoffs* the pills. i remember those.

*chuckles softly* yeah.

who's gonna continue after us? once we're gone, i mean?

we'll continue.

w- what?

yeah. they can shoot our bodies but our ghosts will never leave the desert. we were meant to be here. and in case you're blind, there's a whole generation of killjoys, up in arms, waiting for a single battlecry and ready to charge.

yeah, that's true. but, i'm just- i'm just worried. this is tough.

i know, kid. this isn't easy; it never was. but that doesn't mean we can give up now. our hands are too tainted with blood for us to stop here, and our minds are too high on anarchy for us to turn back now. 

you're right. to stop now would be casting shadows on all we've done. yeah, damn it, you're right. we might die tomorrow, but so what? that was always part of the deal.

yeah. kid, if there's one thing i've learnt from the desert that i'm pretty damn sure you can't learn as well anywhere else, it's this: it doesn't matter if we die. we've gotta at least try.

*nods* to hell with death. we've seen worse.

yeah, to hell with death.

and to hell with the bli.

*chuckles* 

and to hell with the bli.