14. The Cure...?

(Brie)

“Brianna,” Dad began. “Another race? You just ran one!”

“Two months ago, Dad!” I complained. “And this one is higher up! It’s got a better reward, and it’s far more popular…”

I heard my dad take a deep breath. “I thought that was going to be a onetime gig.”

Frustration prickled up my spine. “No you didn’t, Dad.” I said. “You knew perfectly well that this would keep going. You knew how much I yearn to race!”

He sighed in exasperation. “I don’t have time fer this right now, Brianna. I got chores that need doin’.”

I set my jaw.

“Don’t you have homework to do?” He said as he turned away from me into a stall of one of Ian’s horses. “And git some shoes on!”

I wiggled my shoeless toes and scowled, turning to go up to the house.

*                                              *                                              *                                  *

 (Brie)

It was the last hour of the school day, and class could not get much slower than this. My fingers drilled on my desk.

“Miss Stone! Is there something I can help you with?” Miss Tale snapped in English; not her normal French.

I stopped drumming my fingers. “Could I go to my locker?” I asked.

“What on earth would you need your locker for?” she asked impatiently.

I tapped my tummy. “I’m hungry…”

The classroom erupted into laughter. Miss Tale seemed to think about it, but then abruptly gave my answer. “No.”

“But-“

“It can wait!” She snapped. “You’re obviously not dying of hunger!”

She then continued speaking French to the class, explaining that our articulation, and accents are very important…

“I made you something…” Ian whispered in my ear. I jumped. I had forgotten he sat by me. When I didn’t answer he kept going. “It’s a project I think you’ll like. I’ve been working on it for two months.”

“What is it?” I asked, curious.

“You’ll have to wait and se—you’ll have to wait till I give it to you!” he said, a smile creeping into his voice. I smirked at his stumble over words.

“And when are you planning on giving it to me?” I say.

“Let’s just say this;” He said, his warm breath beating down my ear and neck. “I challenge you and Ila to a race.”

I cocked my head to the side. “You…think you can beat us?!” I burst out laughing, and Miss Tale was forced to stop teaching again.

“Brianna, would you care to share with the class?”

“W-what?” I asked, my laughter dying away.

“Obviously you found something to be rather hysterical, I asked if you wanted to share that with us.”

“No!” I snapped, too harshly. “I mean; no thanks. It’s this blindness thing; you get these weird hallucinations…”

The class chuckled.