10. Callis, the Coach

(Brie)

I felt like I could fly; but lets take this one step at a time. I was bouncing—yes bouncing—with excitement. I felt as though I’d consumed a few cappuccinos or something highly caffeinated.

“Brianna, please.” Callis complained for the umpteenth time. He had been trying to get me to sit down at a table to discuss our training tactics. He was going to be my trainer now. “We need to talk about this!”

I sat down. “Okay.” Although I was extremely joyous, I knew it was important to begin talking about it as soon as possible. “So, what I was thinking was that—“

“Whoa,” Callis interrupted. “Whatcha talkin’ ‘bout? You mean t’tell me you’ve already thought this through?”

I nodded vigorously and heard Callis sigh, leaning back in his seat. It made me smile. “Yes, I have. Anyway, what I was thinking was that we could train Ila to pass without me telling her to: she would know when to pass and such.”

“Brie, I think we needa talk about you ridin’ her first. You understand that you can’t see? And that there are four corners to each race that you absolutely have to take. You can’t just say that she’s gonna automatically take those on her own.”

I shrug. “I can if we train her to.”

Callis exhaled. “You don’t get it.”

“So explain it to me, Callis!” I exclaimed. “If I don’t get it, tell me what part of training her is so stupid?”

“Brianna, it’s not stupid; it’s time consuming! It’s already going to be difficult training you to be a blind rider. And they might not even allow you to enter! I mean…” Callis quieted down and then continued quite bluntly. “Brie, you’re blind.”

I dropped my fist on the table, frustrated. “Stop saying that! I am not completely blind.”

“If you’re not completely blind; tell me how many fingers I’m holding up.”

“Callis,” I said, my voice cracking.

“You’re not even holding your hand up!” Alana’s voice pierced the air. I heard Callis scowl and call over to his sister.

“Lani, you remember Prancer? That lil’ pony you used to ride? Go tack ‘im up! I’ll take you for a ride.”

The little girl squealed and her rapid footfalls told me she was running toward the barn.

“Prancer’s getting old.” I stated.

“But not that old.” He countered.  “Okay, let’s say you learn to count her strides? And then you know when to lean into the curve….”

I already knew that that plan could turn disastrous: what if I counted wrong? Or what if Ila’s pace got longer? What if she had to slow down for some reason? What if I turned her too soon? “No.” I said. “We need to train her to take it by herself. Don’t ask me how, but she’s gonna be my eyes.”

“Sure. Alright then. Next I supp’se you’re expecting her to pass all by herself too…”

“Callis, I really don’t appreciate the sarcasm. And it’s the only way! So many things could go wrong if I was the one calling the shots.”

“This is bull.” Callis snapped, letting loose a few other profanities. Then he walked away to help his little sister.

*                                                          *                                                          *