20. No one to Turn to

Whoa. Okay. So this chapter is sorta intense. And...normally I don't write like this, so, IDK, lemme know what you think! ;)

(Brie)

“Dad. I needa get outta here. I’m dying.”

Dad put the newspaper that he was reading down and spoke in a monotone. “I know, Kiddo, me too.”

“No, Dad, I need to get out now.”

It had been two days and they had kept me in the hospital for an infection caused by bacteria on the glass. Unfortunately, some idiot had peed in the bottle before breaking it in the ditch.

“So I have some dude’s urine in my body?!” I had yelled.

Presently, a doctor entered the room—I could tell by the scent he brought in with him: needles. I shivered at the thought of the objects they use to prick me at any time they please.

“Ms. Stone! And Mr. Stone, good to see you are both doing well,” The nurse said over-enthusiastically.

“I’m not doing well,” I grumbled under my breath.

“well, I’m certain I can make that better.” The guy went on, doing his best to turn my negative comment around.

I didn’t like the sound of his voice. It was as though he’d swallowed one of those girls who are always going “Omigod Ashley! Did you see that girl’s shoes???” yeah, one of those obnoxious voices.

“What is it, son?” Dad asked impatiently.

I clenched the edge of my sheets in my fists out of frustration. Could he take any longer? Didn’t he have any better appointments to get to?

“Thank you sir,” Said the boy, I heard papers shuffle around as he began to stutter with his next sentence. “Y-you see, we j-just, we just finished your last analysis and it is confirmed. The infection has gone down to a considerable size that we can take you off the anti-bacterial and get you off of bed rest.”

I tried to puzzle that all together, but none of it made sense…

After an agonizing moment he stammered. “I-it means you may go.”

Both my father and I let out a huge sigh of relief and I heard his chair scrape the floor as he stood up. “Thanks, boy. I’ll take it from here.”

Dad put my duffle bag on the foot of my bed and left the room so I could change into some real clothes. None of this icky hospital dress crap. I was going to be free!!

It had been two entire days since I last talked to Ila, and she was taking it hard. I heard my horse snort as I walked in the barn, allowing my walking stick to find her stall door, fingering the chunk that had been chewed out by the last horse. I reached my hand over the door and into her stall, searching for her muzzle, but she wouldn’t meet my hand.

“Ah, c’mon girl!” I muttered. “I’ve missed you! Weren’t you at least a little worried?”

Ila gave another snort before I felt her velvety nose brush my fingers.

“Brianna?”

I jumped at the sudden voice in my ear, and turned, raising my hand to strike whoever had snuck up on me. A large hand gripped my wrist suddenly and I smelled a fine minty breath in my face. And then Ian spoke.

“Where have you been, Brie?”

Something twisted in my gut when he called me that. I wasn’t sure if it was a good or bad twist. Good. Right?