6. Crude Girl

My mind raced back to the day two years ago. The awful sensation of hanging in midair, my stomach rolling in my body, gravity forgetting to kick into action, and then the sound. I remembered the sound of hooves beating over and over again, the sound of my horse’s last whinnies of surprise and the sound of the crowd going from excitement to horror. And then I hit the hard earth with a thud and the breath was knocked out of me for what seemed like eternity. I couldn’t hear anything or breathe at all. My lungs weren’t working and my head hurt. I wanted to scream but my lack of air prevented that from happening.

      “Brie!” Ian’s voice sounded far off, as did his horse’s hoofbeats. Everything was black again, I was once again blind. Boots hit the ground and scurried over to where I sat struggling for breath.

      “Hey, are you okay? Are you hurt? Brie, you looked pretty wigged out back there!”

      I pushed him away, clutching my eyes still. “Back off!” I snapped. I felt like ripping my eyeballs out, maybe it would be less painful just to do that.

      “Hey!” Callis, running by the sound of his footfalls, shouted--more like a scream--at the top of his lungs, I never heard him more mad before in my life.I put my head between my knees so I could breathe better. “I thought we agreed that this wouldn’t happen!”

      “The horse just took off and jumped the fence!”

      “Well you--”

      “Shut up!” I yelled at them. I turned to where Callis was and spoke quietly. “Callis, I could see. Really, I mean it! For a split second I could see!”

      “Brianna, what the hell you talking about? You’re blind.”

      “No, Callis, really. I saw--I saw Ian, I saw Mr. Prince! I saw the barns! It was real!”

      “I’m sorry, Brie. Just stay here. I’m gonna go get your mother.” And before I could stop him, Callis was making a cold dash for the house. Ian moved closer to me.

      “Did you really?” was all he said. He believed me!

      I nodded. “Yeah. Really.”

      “Are you okay?” He said, scooting closer yet. I didn’t object.

      “Yeah. My eyes feel like a little bit of hell, but.....” I sighed. “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have done that with you here, with Callis’ threat hanging over your head. I just didn’t think anything would happen! I should--”

      “Brianna, it’s okay. But I’m guessing this means you lied about training?”

      Before I could answer, Kevin’s voice barked across the yard. “Get away from my sister!”

      Ian stood up, and I heard Kevin’s fast approaching footsteps. When they were so close I thought I was about to be trampled, I heard the sound of fist hitting jaw.

      “Kevin!” I yelled. He ignored me.

      “Who do you think you are, taking my sister out for a little race?”

      “Kevin, he didn’t--”

      “She’s blind!” He yelled at Ian.

      “I know that!” Ian spat back.”She has potential. You guys keep her away from horses, you’re going to ruin her life. I don’t want to be the one who crushes her dreams!”

      There was a second where I thought I misjudged Ian, but then Kevin punched him again.

      “Stop it!” I screamed, standing up. “Grow up Kevin! If I didn’t want Ian here right now, he’d be on the ground with sore nuts! And I’m the one who went riding. Ian didn’t know I wasn’t supposed to, and it was me who kicked Mr. Prince into a gallop.”