2. The Truth Pops Out

“So how was school, Kiddo?”

    “I got a tutoring job. I’ll need to take one of the later buses home.” I answered Dad briefly.

    “That’s good.” I could tell he was looking up at me. “Did you fall today?”

     He asked me that almost everyday, and everyday would normally be the same answer; no. I swallowed my pork chops.

     "Uh, yeah. But that’s because someone tripped me.”

     Dad’s fork cluttered to the table and I heard him lean back in his chair.

     “Mike…” Mom said.

     “Brianna, I want you to take Champ, it would—“

     “I’m not bringing Champ to school, Dad! Do you know how much crap I'd get?” I interrupted him. I really wouldn't get much crap for it at all; in fact people would coon over that dog all day long.

     “No one would trip you and Champ would make sure that you’re safe.”

    “Dad, teachers are gonna treat me differently, like when I had just come back two years ago! I cannot stand that!”

    Kevin cleared his throat. “Uh, I think you should maybe give her one more chance…”

    “Or maybe you could stay out of it!” Dad barked at my older brother. I smiled appreciatively to him. “You’re taking Champ, whether you want to or not. I’ll notify the school first thing in the morning.” 

*                                                          *                                                          *

    “Brie! Get up! The bus is gonna be here in fifteen minutes!” Kevin yelled from the other side of my door.

    I jumped out of bed and fell to the ground with a thud. Kevin chuckled and I shot some profanities his way. I grabbed a pair of jeans from the top drawer of my dresser and a T-shirt from the one below it and threw them on.

    In the bathroom I applied all the makeup I could—eye shadow, mascara, foundation, and blush—and asked Kevin to wipe away the stuff that didn’t help my face in the slightest. I brushed through my hair, which from what I can remember is light brown, and now well past my shoulders.

    I was munching down cheerios when I heard Kevin shouting that the bus was there. I jumped off the stool and ran to the stairs, lost my footing and fell down them. Muttering, I got up and pushed my feet into my shoes.

    I was just about to open the door when Dad came up behind me.

    “Brianna, you’re forgetting Champ.”

    I sighed. “Dad, please.”

    I knew he was shaking his head now. “No Brianna, take the dog.”

    “Yes sir.” I said, defeated, as I took the harness handle into my right hand. “C’mon Champ.”

    The happy, jumpy, black lab got into serious mode and gently pulled me out of the house and to the not-so-patiently-waiting bus.

    Walking down the isle of the bus was worse, people were petting Champ, screaming, and then everything went silent when they saw I wasn’t wearing my regular eye contacts. I wasn’t wearing any at all.

    They whispered and probably pointed, but I didn’t care. I found a seat and sat down, inviting Champ to sit on the seat, right beside me.

    “Hey! That’s my spot!” A kid in front of me complained.