22. The Pond

Hey guys! So I've just realized that this is only my 5th upload for this story this YEAR. I feel like a terrible person. I'm so sorry! I'm going to make an enormous effort to FINISH this book next year!! (2014) :) So, here it is! Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and happy Monday!! :)

(Callis)

“I’m saying it isn’t looking good. Whoever your father has hired is good. They’re thinking ahead of the game.” Taylor Fanning told me without so much of a glance at me.

“So we have to be one step ahead of them.” I said quickly. I was on edge, this was my sister’s well-being that we were discussing. I hadn’t seen Alana for four days. I worried. “We’re not playing the same game they are.”

Taylor paused and looked past the bridge of her glasses and at me, an eyebrow raised high. “That is an interesting theory, Mr. Umpeck.”

I leaned forward.

Ms. Fanning took a deep breath, set the papers down, and stood up, walking around the desk to stand before me. “Are you capable of affording a lawyer, Callis?”

I swallowed, looking down at my mud caked boots. I knew the real answer to that: no. I had no way of paying for that. I shook my head. “No ma’am.”

“Then I’m afraid I cannot help you. Labor is not cheap, Callis. I have a family to support back at home.I would absolutely love to help you, but I can’t.”

I stared at the woman; she didn’t seem apologetic at all. I stood up and held out my hand.

“Thank you for your time.”

She hesitantly shook my hand in a flimsy handshake and attempted to apologize a second time.

“Callis, honestly, I am truly sorry. I wish I could do something for you.”

I turned away from her, clenching my fist at my side. I hated people who knew full well how to help, but never do. I left Ms. Fanning’s office, passing her Intern, Rae, as I walked out the door, slamming it behind me.

-------------

(Brie)

I lay on the couch in the living room. I’d been home roughly 30 hours, but the scent of hospital still clung to my body. I’ve hung inside all day with no desire to go outside. I didn’t want to run with Ila, I didn’t feel like working with horses at all. I felt like crap and it wasn’t an effect of the surgery. Ever since Callis left me in the pasture yesterday, I’ve felt heavy and saw no reason to do anything. Mom had asked if I was okay, but I dismissed her with a wave of my hand, moaning for her to leave me alone.

“Well you sound like you’re suffering from a case of the stomach flu!” She said defensively.

“Mother!” I groaned dramatically. “I don’t want to talk about it!!”

“Alright! Quit moping about though!”

I didn’t.

I was sitting on the couch for hours before my phone vibrated from my pocket. “Incoming Call from Shawna.”

A sudden wave of anger hit me like a wall. If I could punch anyone through the phone, it would be her. Honestly, what did she want from me?

I ignored her call and turned over. But it wasn’t two seconds later when she called back. Irritated and annoyed, I answered her call. “How do you even have my number?”