Chapter 6-B

“What did you do?”

She gave a short bark of laughter. “I freaked out. Began keeping track of all the times I took. It was little items too, nothing flashy or ridiculously expensive. Then I saw a pattern emerge. I would usually steal when I was stressed. Right before a big test, or when report cards were being sent out.”

Her eyes started to fill with shame and she dropped them to the ground. “I try to stop—I really do. But nothing seems to work. That’s why I thought it was a Godsend when Kelly stole from her stepmother.”

“It gave you an excuse.”

“I didn’t have to feel so….so....ashamed. I could stop hiding it under my bed.”

“Figuratively and literally,” she murmured.

Avery looked up in surprise and Madison shot her a rueful smile. The action coupled with the teasing seemed to deflate Avery’s anxiety. Her shoulder’s sagged with relief as her hands started to unclench. However, her expression was still tentative at best.

“Look, I’m not going to stand here and judge you. I have no idea what it feels like or what kind of pressure you’re under. The only question I have is have you talked to your parents about this? Maybe they can help you.”

Panic gripped Avery by the throat. “My parents can never know.”

“I know they’re strict, but don’t you think they would understand or at least try and help you?” Madison imagined her mother would scream and yell at first, but ultimately she would calm down and try to understand the situation.

Avery twisted her hands together till they were knot of fingers. “You don’t understand. My parents aren’t just strict—their super strict. If they found out, I wouldn’t be allowed to leave the house except for school and church.”

Madison noticed Avery’s hands twisting some more. “Do you do that when you’re stressed?” she asked, remembering how Avery did the same thing in the meeting earlier.

“It helps me to relax and keeps my hands occupied.”

“Maybe we should get you a bunch of stress balls. Might come in handy,” she joked, but her mind was already wondering where she could buy them.

 Avery’s lips twitched. “Or one of those Chinese finger traps. Wyatt gave me one as a gag gift last year.”

“Speaking of Wyatt…” Madison drawled, a questioning look in her eyes. “What was that about earlier? Do the two of you have something going on?”

“I wish! The boy is frustrating beyond belief.”

“I could have told you that,” Madison muttered under her breath. Then she said loudly, “How long have you liked him?”

“Since the first day I saw him. I use to be wildly jealous of Kelly because she got to hang out with him all the time. The day they asked me to sit with them at lunch was the happiest day of middle school. I couldn’t believe my luck except years went by and nothing happened.” Her face screwed up in annoyance. “He treated me like a younger sister who needed protecting.”