Chapter 13-B

Her mother cocked her head to the side, her eyes narrowing in on the group. “Well, will you look at that.”

“What are they doing here?” she whispered to herself.

She hadn’t realized she said it loud enough for people to hear until the lady responded, “They’re here to turn themselves in.”

“What?” she exclaimed loudly.

The lady winced at her outburst. “Yup. Marched right in and said they were behind it all. Demanded to see the officer in charge of the case.”

Comprehension exploded through her. They were here…for her. Despite everything Wyatt and Avery said, they had her back. They wouldn’t let her take the fall by herself.

They came, she repeated over and over. They actually came.

The sting of Avery’s rebuff that afternoon started to ease. Overcome with feeling, she pushed past her mother and headed toward the group. They looked up as she approached. Each wore different expressions. Wyatt was scowling, Garrett’s face was guarded, Kelly looked resigned and Avery….well, Avery’s was the best. Remorse burned in her almond eyes as she silently mouthed, “I’m sorry.”

Madison rubbed the spot over her heart and mouthed back, “I forgive you.”

Avery’s mouth lifted into a relieved smile. She nodded her head to the side. Sitting next to her was not only the FEC box, but also her personal chest full of stolen items.

Madison’s mouth dropped open. It was one thing to confess about the FEC, but this?

Trying to appear nonchalant, Avery shrugged her shoulders, but the tightness in her face belied her worry.

Madison scurried over. “What are you doing?” she asked in a low voice. “You didn’t have to bring the chest in.”

Avery ran a finger over the chest, tracing the lines. “It’s time.”

Dumbfounded, she could only stammer out, “But…but….”

She put a hand on Madison’s arm. “You had the courage to do the right thing and face your own demons. Now it’s time for me to face mine.”

“Are you sure?”

“Too late for that now,” Wyatt muttered behind them.

Avery shushed him with a glare before turning back. “I’m sorry for what I said earlier. It was wrong of me to place the blame on you. And I don’t hate you. Far from it. You’re the best thing that’s happened to this group.”

“That’s debatable,” Wyatt cut in.

Avery whirled around. “Will you be quiet? What we were doing was wrong and Madison was the only one to stand up and say no.”