Chapter 1-B

"Madison," she corrected. "I go by Madison. And no. I don't make it a habit to lounge around in laundry rooms."

"So just mine then? I feel so special."

The conversation lulled into a comfortable silence. Neither moved, content to sit and listen to the faint sound of people chattering outside. Madison's eyes strayed to a black windbreaker with white initials and a yellow logo lying on top of the dryer. She hated the familiar looking jacket. Hated everything it represented. Swallowing the lump of resentment stuck in her throat, she looked away.

"Rough being a cop's kid." His voice was deceptively light.

"You don't seem to have a problem with it." She'd noticed the ease of his family's interaction right off the bat. They laughed and teased each other, no sign of strain between father and son.

"We have our issues just like everyone else, but for the most part it's good."

"You're one of the lucky ones then." Her mother and her weren't so fortunate. She knew her mother's job was important, she solved cases and put criminals' behind bars, but it came at a high cost. Growing up, she was never around. She missed Madison's recitals and soccer games, science fairs and open houses. She never made items for the bake sale or participated in the PTA. She hadn't even been there for Madison's first period. Freaked out, she told her dad, who in turn freaked out and called their next-door neighbor, Mrs. Burns. Unfortunately, Mrs. Burns was an eight-five year old lady who kept pinching her cheeks and calling her a "real woman."

"Maybe things will get better now that you've moved."

She highly doubted that. Sixteen years of broken promises and missed holidays didn't disappear overnight. "You're a real Pollyanna for someone who considers themselves to be a journalist."

"Have to start somewhere. Besides, I have a few years to go before I become a full blown cynic." He stood up and straightened his shirt. "What do you say we venture out and get some lunch? I think my dad is finally done grilling the meat." Madison hesitated, not sure if she wanted to face more people. "Or we can hang out here," he offered.

Guilt nudged her conscious. Clearly, he'd been tasked to fetch her. Poor guy didn't know what he signed up for. She should quit being so difficult and suck it up. She went to stand when he spoke again.

"You know, this meeting in the laundry room has really enlightened me. I found a whole new appreciation for them. Thank you."

"It's my calling in life."

"One day we'll have to try out the pantry in the kitchen. Not only is it impeccably clean, but it's also stocked with copious amounts of food."

The corners of her lip twitched as they walked out into the hallway. "I don't know. You could be luring me there for some nefarious reason."

"Gluttony is one of the seven deadly sins." 

"Nice to see yo—"

"Madison!" She turned to see her mother's scowling face. Her mouth set in a firm line Madison was accustomed too. "Where have you been? You went to the bathroom forty-five minutes ago and never came back."

"You know how it is Mom. When you have to go, you have to go," she said in a flat voice.

The lines bracketing her mother's mouth deepened as she planted a hand on her hip. It was a familiar pose; one indicating a lecture was about to come. Already tuning her out, she started playing with the ends of her hair. The strawberry blonde curls were the only feature she gained from her father. Everything else was the mirror image of her mother. She had the same pale skin, light green eyes, Cupid's bow lips and round chubby cheeks. She even had the dusting of freckles that dotted the bridge of her mother's nose.