6-

From the time he got back to the house, things were just like normal. Return to the closet, get pulled out, bleed into the bucket, thrown back in. Get yelled at, get hit a few times, get a couple new bruises. Nothing too intense. Back in the closet. Sleep until he wandered out, only for Melanie to shove into his arms yet another outfit to pull onto his sore body before she shoved him out the door.

He didn't mind his new task. It gave him real, actual clothes for the time he was out, as well as even more of a chance to get away from the vampires. It had become a daily thing now, rather than whenever he could sneak out, and gave him something to do. And he could interact with someone who wasn't imprisoning him just for his blood. Someone who actually seemed to not mind his company.

He walked right back to his typical spot in front of the train tracks. He was so close, just one infinite step. But he couldn't do it. He couldn't bring himself to step over it. Besides, after stumbling across the graveyard a few days ago, there was no longer anything to go back to... He sighed, sitting back against the same tree as the day before and closing his eyes.

"Why do you never cross the tracks?"

Chris's voice startled Caleb so much that he jumped up, staggering as he found he had indeed stood up from surprise. "I-I just don't," he said once his brain had calmed down. "I have n-nothing to go to, nothing w-waiting for me, nowhere to g-go, nothing to look f-forward to-"

A raised hand from Chris stopped Caleb before he could keep rambling. "And if I were to offer you help? Would you still have nothing?"

"I-" Caleb didn't know how to respond. He'd never had someone offer him anything, yet here was someone willing to help... His mouth moved, but no words came out, eyes wide as he watched Chris step back and onto the rail closest to them.

"Come on," Chris guided, hands outstretched to him. When Caleb just shook his head and took a step away, Chris moved forward and off the rail, picking up Caleb's hands in his own. "You can't wait until you're ready. If you do that, you'll never overcome whatever's holding you back. You have to be brave, Caleb. Take that step." With Chris's encouragement, Caleb took a tentative step towards the rail. "That's it. Come on." That first step was followed by another, and another, until Caleb's toes were barely an inch away. "Alright, Caleb. One last step. You can do it."

Sucking in a deep breath, Caleb summoned all the courage he could muster, closing his eyes and lifting one foot. It seemed like it took an eternity before the foot landed just beyond the rail, heel of his borrowed shoe brushing against the cold metal. It took everything he had to not turn around and retreat, but he had already started. Just that one step into freedom. Another word of motivation from Chris spurred him to keep moving, until he was on the other side of the tracks. He turned to look back at the forest, the makeshift path he could barely see. Beyond the plethora of trees, out of sight, stood the house he had been trapped in for twelve years. Half of his life.

He felt arms catch him and pick him up as his already shaky legs gave out. He accepted the silent offer to carry him, not resisting at all as Chris began to walk, to carry him to the city that he had stared at longingly for so long.

He didn't even realize he had fallen asleep again until he became aware of a gentle touch on his shoulder. His eyes flickered open, only to close again as light from a nearby lamp blinded him. The brightness disappeared a few moments later, leaving the only source of light coming from somewhere beyond the cracked open door. As he opened his eyes a second time, he easily made out Chris's figure kneeling beside him before leaning back. He was laying in an actual bed, with warm blankets over him and crisp, cool sheets beneath him. He hadn't been in a bed since the last full night he was still human.

"Ah, you're awake," Chris said quietly as Caleb slowly sat up, looking around to take in more of the room. It wasn't large, and through a window on the wall opposite the door, he could see the ash grey clouds blocking out the rest of the dark sky. "You slept for a while."

Caleb turned his head back to Chris again. What was he doing here, why had he agreed to come to the city, why had he stepped over the tracks? For all the questions whirling around in his head, he couldn't find a single answer. It must have shown in his eyes, because Chris just gave him a compassionate expression. Chris reached up a hand to feel Caleb's forehead. He flinched away a little, but didn't move further. True, he had been somehow convinced to cross over by the man, and he would allow him to help, but that didn't mean he trusted him yet. He almost didn't know how to trust someone, after everything.

"You seem to have caught a cold," Chris muttered thoughtfully, almost as if it was more to himself than to Caleb. After a moment of contact, his hand dropped from Caleb's forehead, settling on top of the blankets. Caleb watched his every move cautiously. Something from another room made a beeping noise, drawing Chris out of his momentary trance. "I'll be back in a few minutes. Don't move too much." He stood up and walked out of the room, leaving the door ajar and disappearing.

Caleb sighed, letting himself sink into the pillows and mattress completely, forcing his tense body to relax. It ached, a lot. He let his eyes close, only to nearly fall asleep by the time Chris came back in the room with a plate of freshly warmed food, the aroma instantly waking him up again. He also carried a cup of water.

Chris set the plate and cup on the nightstand beside the bed while he positioned some pillows to prop Caleb up when he sat, handing Caleb the plate of food and a fork once he was situated. At first, he hesitated to take it, but when he started eating, Caleb had to pace himself to keep from practically inhaling the microwaved meal of beef - which Chris had already cut into bite-sized pieces for him - and mashed potatoes. When he had devoured every last scrap on the plate, he drank the entire cup of water in one giant gulp.

"Better?" Chris asked, placing the now empty plate and cup on the nightstand to deal with later.

Caleb nodded. It was the first time in years he'd actually eaten enough to not be hungry, and it felt amazing to not feel emptiness in his stomach. "Th-thank you."

"No problem. Now, get some rest. You seem like you need it." Chris helped Caleb lay back down again, pulling the blankets back over him so he would be warm enough. Within moments, Caleb was snoring.