Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven 

It had been a few weeks since I had gotten the job at the library, and since then I had started it, and become basically a hermit, not straying far from either the library, or my motel room. 

Not that I really had many other places to go. 

Besides, the library was almost like a second home to me, as I really felt most at home among books, and it was an added bonus that I discovered that one of my best friends, June, worked here as well. 

I didn't really talk to her that much anymore, so, this really was a great opportunity to hang out with her and reminisce about the 'good old days'. 

"Hey, motherfucker." June's voice greeted me, well, speak of the devil and she shall arrive. 

"Hey, bitch-whore." I returned, grinning widely, but, it was soon wiped off my face as she dropped a pile of books down on the desk in front of me, a grimace on her face. 

"The boss lady says we have to shelf these books... and the worst part is, we have to actually put them where they belong, we can't just stuff them onto random shelves this time. Doesn't that suck?" She groaned, causing me to laugh. 

"You say that like we're both guilty of that, I've never just stuffed random books onto random shelves, that's only something you do, and I'm surprised you haven't gotten fired yet for it." 

"Yeah, I'm about as surprised as you are," She admitted, before glancing down at her watch, before her eyes flickered up to the door with a grumble. "Damn it, the kid's late." 

"Who's late? Late for what?" I inquired, tilting my head to the side as I observed my friend curiously, just now noticing that she seemed a bit jumpy. 

"Oh..." She trailed off, wringing her hands slightly in an anxious way, before her eyes flickered back up to meet mine. "Alright, you're one of my best friends, I'll tell you... well, I mean, promise you're not going to rat me out, or anything." 

"June, I'm insulted, of course I wouldn't rat you out, no matter what you did... even if you murdered someone, I'd help you hide the body." I told her, causing her to grin widely, rubbing her hands together. 

"Alright, well, I told this kid to come meet me... I'm buying some drugs off him. Nothing that bad, just some pot, but, I'd rather not get in trouble, and so far he's late." She sighed, pulling her sleeve back to check her watch, before her phone beeped in her pocket. 

Fishing it out, she turned on the screen, and I watched her eyes skim over the message before she grinned and tucked it back, looking up at me. 

"What is it?" I inquired, raising an eyebrow at her curiously. 

"The kid is here. Finally, right?" She shook her head, but, was still smirking. "Anyways, I'm going to go talk to him, if the boss lady comes out, just tell her I had to use the washroom, and stall her, okay?" 

"Will do." I agreed, saluting her as if I were in the army under her commands, and her requests were orders. 

"Thanks, I owe you one." She hugged me gratefully before running out the front door, leaving me alone to turn back to the books, beginning to sort them into piles that would go on nearby shelves so that I could put them away more efficiently. 

I effectively sorted books and dealt with the few people that came in to check out or return books, but, after about half an hour, I began to get worried about what June was up to. 

Had that kid jumped her or something? Did he murder her? 

Concerned, I placed down the pile of books I was currently working on putting away, and, double checking that there was no one in the library that needed assistance, I turned and made my way towards the entrance in search of June.