Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten 

"Colleen, the movie is over." 

I blinked, finding the credits rolling across the screen where previously the movie that I had not been paying much attention to, had been playing. 

"Oh, so it is..." I nodded, lifting myself out of the chair and grabbing my purse, slinging it over my shoulder before turning back to face David. "Did you enjoy it?" 

"Yeah, I did. I'm not going to bother asking you if you did, as I could see that most of the time you were paying little to no attention whatsoever." He grinned, causing me to look sheepishly at my feet, embarrassed. 

"I- I'm sorry about that, you wasted money paying for a ticket to a movie that I didn't even pay attention to..." I apologized quietly, shifting my weight from one foot to the other. "I feel really bad, I'm really, very sorry." 

"Don't be sorry, Colleen, how many times do I have to say it? Its not a waste if you're doing something you enjoy, and I enjoyed watching the movie with you as my company. So, therefor, it was not a waste." 

"If you say so," I sighed, covering my lips with a hand to muffle a soft yawn. "So, what do you want to do next?" 

"I'm not sure," He mused thoughtfully, tapping his chin while he did so. "How about we go back to your place and watch a movie that you actually enjoy?" 

"Come back to my place? That sounds sketchy... you could be an ax murderer." I blurted out before I even realized what I was quoting, though, much to my surprise, David's response was exactly what I was subconsciously hoping for. 

"There's always that possibility." 

"You... you know that quote?" I grinned, to which David simply smiled, tousling my hair before beginning to walk back in what I assumed would be the direction of the motel. 

I began to follow after him, when I heard a familiar voice call out. 

"Colleen! Hey, Colleen!" 

I blinked, turning around to find that it was Margaret that had called out to me, waving viciously at me from across the street where she was standing with her boyfriend, Anthony, along with Elenor and her boyfriend, Drake. 

David, noticing I had stopped, looked where I was looking before walking back to where I was standing, turning to look at me. 

"Do you know those people?" He questioned, and I glanced up at him, nodding my head. 

"Yes, those are two of my best friends, Margaret and Elenor. Along with their boyfriends, Anthony and Drake." I explained, and David tilted his head to the side, before he began to smile. 

"Anthony and Drake? I know those two, in fact, they're two of my best friends." He informed me, before looking back to where the four had now crossed the street and were approaching us. 

"Colleen, where have you been? We've been so worried about you!" Margaret exclaimed, being quick to wrap me in a hug that was basically bone crushing, which was actually amazing for someone her size. 

"Yeah, it was really rude of you to just disappear like that without telling us where you went!" Elenor snapped, before her face softened slightly. "Your father is pretty distraught, Colleen." 

"I know, but... he wouldn't understand why I left if I had told him. You guys cannot tell him you saw me, please, I'm fine on my own and I really don't want to go back, okay? Please?" I begged, and Margaret and Elenor exchanged looks. 

"Okay, we won't tell, but, on one condition," Margaret began, and, when I nodded in agreement, she continued. "You have to stay in touch with us. You're still our best friend and we were worried out of our minds about you."