CHAPTER XXXVIII

They search for my phone on my breast pocket then took away its battery before covering my head with a black cloth and tying my hands on my back with a packaging tape.

Then someone get off and assume the driving seat. I don't know who but the man left beside me stuff another clothe on my nose. I tried hard not to breathe with it but failed. The strong rough hands covering my mouth was the last thing I remember before passing out.

--------

I felt like I just had a nightmare.

My head's heavy and I found myself kneeling on the ground, with my hands lifted up, tied too tight they feel numb.

I stir up and tried opening my eyes.

Where am I?

The place reek of cigarette and alcohol and there are faint sound of men's voices.

I look around and saw Bruce in front of me, tied in the same way I am, unconscious, his face so pale and.. Damn it! what is that fresh blood dripping down his clothes, did they stabbed him?

"Bru--.. Bruce! Hey! " I called out, my voice hoarse.

He didn't move or stir. Is he dead?

"Yo! Over there Bull, the kid's awake!" someone shouted.

I turn my head to the left and saw a group of five men sitting in a circle. Bull's stood up and smile at me grotesquely. He has scar on his cheek that wasn't there before, then he came closer to me and clasped my chin up, his rough hand clenching my jaw hard-- hurts.

"Nice to see you again." he said, his voice sounds grave.

"What did-- you do... to him?"

He glance at Bruce. "Oh Bruce? Nothing. He just struggle when you arrive and I have no choice but to remind him a lesson. I can do that to you too, if you misbehave."

"What do you want?"

"As straightforward as before." he gave off a dry laugh. "Not much kid. I'm just using you as a leverage to have revenge to that bastard! You see this scar? I'm going to give him one too!"

So this is all about Boss Cheston.

"How shameful. Well, what can I expect from people like you!"

He cringe lightly then took a phone out of his pocket and dial a number. "My boys gave you an overdose of that knock-out drug, don't you know you'd been here since yesterday night? Your bastard lover must be screaming his head off by now... This will be exciting.."

"That will be futile." I smirk. "I won't let you hurt him.."

"Let's see."

I tried to stand up, only to be push down again. I'm beginning to feel afraid and I don't like it. I came here because they say they won't hurt Bruce but they did, he's not just another man. He's my friend and... if he never make it to the hospital he'll die. Right at my very face. Boss Cheston too, if he found out I'm here. I don't want that to happen.

Not again.

Bull makes the call in a loudspeaker as he enjoy watching my terrified face. Please, don't pick it up but it only took two rings and that idiot came on the line.

"Oh! Its been a while, Boss.." says Bull.

"Where is she?" Boss Cheston shouts. I can imagine his anger at this very moment.

Bull laugh mockingly. He shrugged to me as if saying "I told you."

"Don't worry Boss. Your girl is safe in my care- Oh wait! That depends on her obedience."

"What do you want?"

"What do I want?" he sneer. "Eh? Boss, com'on, you know exactly what I want. You destroyed my fucking face and kick me out of my office, its normal to want justice, right?"

"Is she safe? Get her on the phone!"

He walks over me and yanks my hair, pushing the phone on my left ear. "Speak."

I glared at him and kept my mouth shut. I won't let him get what he wants. Bruce's bleeding to death over there and he wants to lure Boss Cheston into this place to beat him up? No.

"Speak!!" he scream.

When I still didn't, he slap me hard on both face.

"Your girl's tough! I'm sorry but I cannot promise she'll go back to you with that pretty looking face.."

"Where are you?"

He laugh again. "You know where to find me." he said and smash the phone on the wall.

He grab me by the collar and mocks at me. "You think this is a joke kid?"

"He's not coming here, asshole!"

"Let me tell you a secret, punk! This is not just what you think it is, this will also serve as a punishment for that bastard's father--the big boss-- because he chooses that bastard over me!"

"Let go of Bruce! I am here already!" I screamed.

"You're friend's gonna die here" he whisper before shoving me away and kicking me straight to the guts, I pass out.

-----

When I regain consciousness, I cock my head to the side and hear some faint sound of shattering glass.

Its dark and I can't quite see the place.

"He.. help!" I yell, choking my own words.

A man came at me and free my hand.

"Blythe? Kid? We're here. Hang in there.."

He carried me in his arms and when we pass on a light I realize it was Mint.

"Ple.. tell me, the boss.. the boss isn't here.. and Bruce"

I saw him flinch at my mention of both person.

Bruce. "Don't tell me.."

"The boss will take care of everything Blythe. We'll have to get you to the hospital, you have a cut on the shoulder."

I glance at my shoulder and he's right, I'm bleeding. Nonetheless, I feel no pain. Maybe the effect of the knock-out drug is still on my system.

Suddenly, the sound of a gun shot breaks the silence of this seemingly an abandon building.

I panic. "Let go of me!" What if Bull killed my moon and stars. I can't let it happen.

I run to the hallway with Mint behind me, when we head downstairs that's when I saw Boss Cheston beating Bull.

August and Jene rush toward us after knocking down four of Bull's men.

"Boss!" I called out.

He turn to me. "Mint! What are you doing, get her out of here!"

Just then, Bull took out a knife and jump over Boss, to my horror he stab him at the stomach.

"NO!" I scream.

Some men dress in black leather jackets barge in and before Bull can stab him again he was shot at the chest. I turn around and saw that the man who pull the trigger' none other than Mr. Albert.

Bull falls head first to the ground while Boss Cheston writhes in pain. I ran to his aid. "Boss.." I help him sit but when he did he leans his head on my shoulder. I still feel no pain on it. The blood coming from his stomach starts to spurt out.

"You're wounded." he whispered weakly.

"Get that two in the car!" Mr. Albert shouted.

Three men approach us and separate him from me. He passed out as they carried him outside. I sit there never wavering my gaze from his blood drain face.

Will he die? I look down at my hands covered with blood.

This is just like that night.

Everything happen so fast.

The next thing I knew is that Mr. Albert helps me stood up and have Mint carried me outside.