CHAPTER X

"And you said you can protect yourself in every instances.." the boss said as he cover me with his suit.

He carried me back to the office and let me sit quietly at the sofa. The other boys had gone home, but Bruce, Mint and August are still at the entertainment area.

"Its... Its just that.. they were following me boss."

"Then you should just go back instead of bringing them to that place!" he said in a raised voice.

Now that my shaking had stop, I feel irritated.

"I can handle them myself! But they've got a..."

"You obviously can't handle them!"

"Don't underestimate me!"

"Who the fuck's underestimating you?!" he come closer and said in a low voice. "Can't you see you're.."

"Im a boss too! I know what Im doing!" I insisted.

He moves away and ran a hand on his hair. "You little tough head! What kind of stupidity are you trying to say? No matter what you say you're sti.."

I stood up, throwing his suit on him. "Shut up! I said I can handle myself."

He moves near again and we hold each other gaze without blinking. He lift a hand and I thought he'll slap me too but what he did caught me by surprise.

He embraces me.

The boss wrapping me around his arm, his other hand patting my hair and holding me tight so I bury my face on his lean chest.

It sucks. I don't want to but my throat tightens and my eyes stings as those tiny hot liquids escape from them.

I never cry in front of others. Even at Gregory's burial, I never shed a tear in front of everyone. When the pain gets too much to bear, I'll just go to the bedroom, bury my face on the pillow so nobody will hear me sob.

Gregory said I'm tough so I acted one. Crying in front of anyone. I find it embarrassing.

But tonight, I never thought I'd be so scared.

Boss Cheston held me for a long time. I gently push him away when I finally got myself, turning my back on him as we part. My face feels all stuffy and red and my nose running.

"Thanks boss... for kicking that ugly man back there" I murmured. I grab my bag

and run for the door, with my head keep bow down.

-----

The other day, after taking a bath, I examine my face on the mirror.

I'm still myself, nothing hurts more and sure the cut on my lip will heal in no time. I smile and notice that my hair's got a bit longer its getting on my eyes. In cases like this, scissor is the reliable weapon.

It's our final examination today. Thanks to the big boys I've got an awful lot time to study yesterday because the did all the work, insisting that their little doll should take a rest also. The next time they call me their little doll again I'll punch them each with my hardbound book.

I ran fast to the school after my work at the coffee and pastry shop.

Judson, Clint and Scout are there, saving the middle chair for me to sit.

"Blythe, I suggest we got to do some serious talking about you picking frequent fights" Judson said.

"Are you on some kind of trouble man?" Clint added.

"I don't need more lectures guys, I've had enough, trust me."

Fortunately, all the question on every exams favors me. I answered each of them based on everything I've study. If I get the highest grades on this term, I'll be cooking those big boys on the office

whatever meal they like.

After three hours, the results were release.

"You're a total genius Blythe.." Scout compliments.

I head on the central office with a smiling face.

When I open the door, I announces the good news. "I've got the highest scores boys!" and laugh out loud.

Everyone's gather at the office, in front of the boss desk. They all look at me, not giving a damn what I said then back to what they're doing. The boss's holding Jene by the collar and slaps him.

"Its my rule not to use guns to collect funds, isn't it? You've got balls to break my rules?" he shouted, then another slap.

"Im sorry boss, I forgot, Im sorry." Jene pleaded.

The boss shove him away. He lighted his cigarette and shout again. "We're business men, can't that simple sentence got on your empty skulls!"

Silence.

"And you.." he turn to Charlie, one of his most intimidating follower. "I've heard you stab a man on the district!"

"But boss, its beca---" he's about to explain but got hit in the face.

"Fuck that reasons off, you assholes!!"

I've never seen him like this while disciplining the big boys. Before, he will just order them to do thousands of barbel lifting and push ups on the gym. I wonder what happened. He's angry, throwing he got his hands on.

How am I suppose to stop this.

He grab August and starts questioning him in regards to some drugs and when he's about to hit him, I ran forward and spoke out loud.

"I LIKE YOU BOSS.."

Damn! Of all the reasons my mind can give me.

He let go August and stares at me with his gray eyes wide.

Everyone fell silent again. All eyes on me and I find myself hoping that one will laugh so I can laugh too. But they didn't even made a small movement.

I let out a dry laugh. "What I mean is..."

"What did you say punk?" the boss asked. "Repeat it."

I pretend to laugh more. "What I mean is you know boss.. Hahaha!"

The others join me laughing too.

I'm getting second thoughts about being genius now.

That sure pisses off the boss because he turns around and sit with his feet above the table without saying anything.

The men slowly made their way out.

We had dinner in silence that night. The boss hardly touch his food.

When the clock reads 8:05pm I step off the entertainment area to leave.

"I'll be seeing you tomorrow at the cafe near the park.." he said when he notice me making my way out in tip toe. I'm about to refuse but he flashes me an intense terrifying glare, "the usual time Blythe, if you did not show up, I'll kill you and dump your body in the river."