CHAPTER IV

"What is it like?" Judson whispered on my ear while Professor Stanley pace back and forth discussing Karl Max Theory.

"What do you mean, what is it like?" I asked in a low voice.

Clint on my right side join us. "Your new part time job of course.."

I play with the pen on my hand and shut my eyes tight trying to accept the kind of work Im having at the mafia's central office which started two weeks ago. Its not that difficult or anything actually, Im not being force to collect funds outside or do some visits to those who took loan sharks but I find the work rather...

embarrassing.

Im cooking meals for all at the ninth floor, doing the dishes, making coffees, carpet vacuum cleaning at the end of office hours and wiping the windows. In addition to that, Im the one in charge for the groceries, mainly buying cigarettes for the boss.

I later learned that the boss is not just the boss of that headquarter but also their Family's successor.

Cheston La Fontant.

Considering his good looks, I think he was really feared by his followers. Some of them even shaking when he walks past on the dining area, throwing them a glance. But I see him nothing but a spoiled brat (he just sits on his table, doing nothing) and a womanizer (he's accompanied by different women every time he brings one).

After doing the chores, I was told to stay on the boss office together with the other boys. There is a glass wall separating the area where I've talked with the boss during the first day and their entertainment area.

Back on my first two days, I thought that those muscular, intimidating men on black suits will bully me so I'm always on guard, making sure that they will not be able to touch me. I remember walking to that entertainment area where they're gathered at that time. Some threw intense glares at me. Two stood up and attempt to bump my shoulder. Others were conditioning their hands or stretching their back and arms as if they were going to a fight while looking at my direction. But man, on the third day, their true colors shone up and I feel like grabbing one of them to be my punching dummy because no one even bothered to warn me that these men have minds of little kids. Playing cards, laughing out loud, throwing basketballs to each other and few are into reading men's magazines on the darken corner, trying their best to hide the material when its obvious pornography.

As for me, I will just sit there on the corner, doing my homeworks, trying to figure out what the hell is that place because Im expecting that I'll be working for the most fearsome mafia family on town.

"Well, its the craziest job there is." I shrugged.

Judson frown. "What'cha mean by that?"

Scout on our behind stoop over and whispered. "Blythe, don't tell us you're working on..."

I turn around and grab him by the collar while our Professor writes equations on the board.

"Im just kidding..." he uttered.

I sigh tiredly and rest my head on the desk. If I could I don't want to go back on that place this day and for the days to come but I can already hear Gregory's voice on my head. Every Bondemer Family member pays his debts.

Damn it.

Before Professor Stanley can announced that we will be having a little exam, the bell rings and the students starts walking outside, discussing the lessons they didn't quite understand. Its the same for me, I felt like I didn't heard any word Professor Stanley said so I decide to do a self study later on.

My friends also stood up and picked their bags. Judson shakes me, pulling me from my chair.

"Hey man, let's go drinking tonight, what do you think?"

I glance at my wristwatch, its just 3:05pm and since its the last subject, better head for the office so I can arrive early at my next part time job.

I threw my notebooks on Judson and Clint and messes my hair. They were startled. I always do that when Im thinking things.

Why do I have to live like this?

I woke up before the sunrise because I'm working on a bakery for two hours, then I'll run to a studio, editing articles for a newspaper and before I go arriving late to my first class I have to work on a coffee and pastry shop as the morning barista.

After school, I was force to worked on that mafia headquarters without pay and I have to stay there for six hours as their operating time is on the late afternoon to middle night. At 10pm, I still got to work on a flower shop at the market since costumers prefer buying fresh flowers during that time. I used to have another job after that as a bartender on a nearby drinking house but because I've been taking a nap at the flower shop lately, my tardiness had been apparent I am informed to just find a job that "will suite your hours."

This is all because of my bastard brother's fault.

I wouldn't have to do these things if he was here doing his responsibility to the Family instead of enjoying himself on his bed with that Crystal girl.

Now that I'm reminded of that, when will he got married again? Does he informed me that the last time we talked?

"Geez, what's your problem Blythe, you throwing things all of a sudden?" Judson commented.

They picked up the things I've thrown and shove it on my desk.

I stuff in on my bag and we headed to the locker. I'm wearing a simple blue shirt and black pants but because the boys on the central office wears suits, Im always carrying a blazer jacket with me now.

I guess I have to go first to the restroom and fixed my undershirts, so my chest will look lean like those of the guys.

Im not planning to hide my identity to the boss and his men but as long as they don't ask me I'll just stick with this overall. I stuff my bag with books I need to study later.

"Blythe, you going home already?" Clint asked.

"You know him, that guy doesn't go home until its late.." Judson answered.

We laugh.

We part ways at the entrance gate.

When I think of how I dreaded the sight of the big boys in the office enjoying life like that, Im kinda reminded of how I live with my own big boys when I was young. We also had an entertainment area in the house. Upstairs. I remember how they will made me and Bliss wear the same outfit and present us for all to see, making others guess who is Bliss and who is Blythe. We have a small gym, dining area and a library upstairs too.

That good old days.

I look up at the blue sky and felt the coming winter's wind blow my hair behind.

I am living alone on that house for eleven years now, since that twin brother of mine discovered a new habit of going home, staying for a while then just going away, leaving a note that says "I'm going somewhere, Blythe my love, that will take months so please take care". I've never visited the three floors upstairs again. My bedroom remains on the first floor and I'm rarely home. But when I do, Sunday mostly, I would look around trying to imagine how that house feels like when the big boys and Gregory was still there. I will stand at the living room for hours until I become tired and my mind will refuse to remember anymore. I will smile to myself as I turn around, going to my bedroom and spending the day lying on bed, trying to analyze when did exactly the laughter on that house died.