CHAPTER XXIV

Today was a special day.

Twelve years ago, on this same date, my mentor died.

Bliss informs me that he'll come home with Crystal Delby two days from now so I keep the apartment I rented from Mrs. Glin's friend.

Since its semestral vacation I got a lot of time to spend with Boss Cheston, so after my shift at the flower shop that morning, I invite him to come with me to visits Gregory's grave.

We drive to the cemetery later that afternoon which is a two hours ride away from our house. When we arrive, we lay the basket of flowers I arrange earlier---hydrangea, Gregory's favorite.

I smile. "Dave and Mr. Jayden were the ones responsible for the garden we had back home. Gregory's house rules include watering his hydrangea every morning and when one of them forgets he made them do a three hundred push up at the living room which I enjoy mainly because I'm riding Dave's back as he goes up and down."

He smile back. "You like seeing people suffer? Aren't you?"

We laugh softly.

I kneel and lit the candles we brought. "Hey old man..." I began. "I'm sorry Bliss didn't make it today, again, but he'll visit you with his wife... can you believe it? My ever foolish brother is now a married man.." I chuckle. "Oh, I brought someone with me today, he's one of the Ligneri-Blanc Family bosses, Cheston La Fontant..." I reach for the boss hand beside me and squeeze it. "I was seven that time old man, and still sitting on your lap reading me stories to sleep, you always say I'm too big to do that... One night, you made me promise that if I found someone to love, I need to bring him to you, if I am so sure, so you can grind him to pulp and drink him for breakfast..."

Boss Cheston's broke into laughter.

"I found that someone now..." I continue and look him in the eyes. "and I don't have any plans of letting you grind him to pulp.."

"Did I just receive a confession Blythe?"

I look straight ahead, feeling the resentment I'm harboring for all these years surfaces again and in a small voice I utter. "Don't worry my old man, I'm still in pursuit of finding the people who took you away from me.." I pull my hand back and clutch my coat as the cold wind blew my hair behind. "and when I find them, I'll make sure they pay... hard.."

From the corner of my eye, I notice boss Cheston's face turns serious so I flashes him a wide smile to lighten up things.

We stayed there for an hour and then walk back to the car holding hands, passing through the cemetery's garden, blooming with winter tulips of different colors.

"The murderers.. have you.."

"It may not look like him but my brother is doing the investigation all these years.. he says he had clues but they're still vague." I answered.

"Just tell me what I can do to help you"

I squeeze his hand. "Thanks boss."

----

After the two hour ride back, we stop at the nearby restaurant to eat.

He told me that during the four days I'm away from him, he never expected that he will lose his appetite on food and sleep. I laugh at him.

"What?!"

"You're such a baby!" I tease.

I always thought that being a relationship requires some ingredients of trying to like someone completely, but what we have is different. There are qualities of him I find annoying, like the way he's always so full of himself, confident in everything with his short temper but what surprises me is that I find those things about him adorable. Its like I just love all of him.

Love.

That word, and this tingling, ecstatic feeling that grows deeper and deeper within me everyday.. its, amusing.

"What little doll?" he ask.

"What?"

"You suddenly turns serious, is the food not in your liking?"

I shake my head. "I'm... I'm just happy I guess.. and scared, I'm not use to this relationship stuffs, I'm not use to you.."

Now its his turn to laugh. "You're such a baby!"

After eating, we head to the office since he got some "business" papers to accomplish. I proceed to the kitchen and start doing my chores. Oh my, I almost forgot, tomorrow will be the boss birthday.

What can I give to him that he doesn't have yet? I thought.

During that dinner, August and I sit next to each other and talk with muffling voices.

"Tomorrow's the boss birthday, man," he says.

I nod. "Yeah. Hey, what are you guys planning to do?"

"There will be a lot of booze and girls at our mini bar tomorrow, isn't it exciting?" he nudge me a little hard sending me bumping the eating Nick.

"What's up kid?" he says.

August and I both shook our heads and said that nothings up.

So, tomorrow night there will be a little celebration, and considering the amount of money I save, I can at least buy him something.

"Your birthday's tomorrow boss, what do you want?" I ask later when I'm sitting on the sofa, reviewing my research's recommendations.

He look up and smirk. "Hmm.. from you? well, just lie with me on the bed---naked.."

I frown. "Forget I even ask you a question."

He laughs. "You don't need to give me anything little doll, just stay with me forever."

That night, as he's cuddling me to sleep, I remember what Miss Paula said before, regarding his parents.

"Boss.."

"Yes, my beloved??"

"Do you really want me to sleep like this, I.. can't.... brea..the.." I said and tries to push him over. His left hand curled on my waist while his other hand on my head, caressing my hair. I rest my head on his lean bare chest, intoxicated by his sweet smelling skin. "Boss, your parents, what if they found out you cancel your marriage with--"

He sigh heavily. "They both know it already."

I lift my face up inches from him. "What did they say?'

"Well, my old woman nags me about how fuckingly important that marriage is to our organizations but my father..." he smiles "that old man must have the idea I'm head over heels in love with someone to go this far as canceling my engagement.. other than that he says nothing"

"I feel guilty.."

"You should be, its your fault.." he chuckles.

He leans over and kiss me goodnight.

-----

He's kissing me when I fell asleep and he's kissing me when I woke up.

I push him away. "Boss!! what the hell are you doing?" the wall clock reads 7:15am. "Oh, its morning.." I hug him tight to his satisfaction and keep chanting happy birthday.

"Blythe, let's stay like this for awhile..." he whispers. "Don't go to the flower shop today.."

How can I refuse when he's saying it like a boy.

"Geez, you should be thankful its your birthday"

He grins, hugging me tight and flooding me with kisses. I think we sleep again after that.