0.8

L U K O Wpoland

L U K O W
poland

ATHENA

WHEN I woke up the next morning it was not without a struggle. My head was immediately pounding when I opened my eyes for the first time, settling on the off white shade of the ceiling. And they hurt, too. They burned with exhaustion.

The few hours of sleep I had were not enough; and there was nothing I wanted more than to curl up in my bed at home and sleep for days. Surely my mom would allow me some sort of vacation.

I wasn't the only one awake; that became clear when I heard a soft clinking of metal against metal. I looked to the other side of the room and my eyes landed on the stranger I knew as James.

He was standing by the window, a gun in his hand, staring outside. I squinted and sat up, my body swaying slightly as the room went dizzy.

"What are you doing?" I croaked out; my voice was hoarse.

James turned at the sound of my voice, holding a metal finger to his lips. Shh. He said without words. My eyes narrowed and I moved quietly from the bed. Although when I stood up, my balance was thrown off, and I stumbled over the shoes on the floor.

My body went down before I could catch myself and the side of my head banged against the nightstand. White stars filled my vision and I groaned, my hand holding the aching spot on my head.

"I said be quiet," James whispered. "Someone's by the car."

"Fuck you." I said, rolling around and standing back up. My body swayed and I blinked a few times. My headache was now worse than before.

I slowly crossed the room to stand beside the man, my eyes narrowing when I saw that there were several Polish police standing outside of the car we stole. "Did you bring in all the guns?" I asked. "How many were there?"

"I don't know." James said, "I just grabbed the two I saw."

I cursed in German under my breath and moved towards the table. I grabbed the handgun and shoved it into the waistline of my jeans. "We need to move, now." I grabbed my boots.

"What are we going to do? Why do you keep swaying?"

"I'm dizzy. Probably because I am starving and exhausted. Your snoring kept me up."

"I don't snore." James said.

I rolled my eyes and looked around the room to make sure I didn't leave anything behind. "I'm not having this conversation with you."