0.5

T V E R russia

T V E R
russia

ATHENA

THE SOLIDER was very hesitant. It was something that I noticed right away. The loud alarm was still ringing loudly and yet he stayed on the ground, visibly shaking. His hands were barely enough to steady his kneeling body.

My genuine action of setting him loose now seemed ill fit; and I cursed myself for it. I thought with my heart, not my head, again.

"You're either coming with me or dying here." I said. I lifted my arm and aimed my gun for his head. It would only take a second. Just a second. His life would be over and I would get the hell out of here. I knew that those Hydra bastards were probably already on their way to collect their solider.

He stayed still and I shook my head. I didn't want to kill him. But I did. I wanted every Nazi dead. But I kept thinking about what I read in his file; how it had taken twenty years for him to break. It had taken twenty years for the man he was once to loose control, and for the monster to consume him.

I dropped my arm and sighed. "I'm going to die for this." It was a mutter, a whisper fading through the blaring alarms.

Then true to the character I've tried to change so many times, I helped him. I helped him stand up on his two feet and started to pull him out the door. The alarms outside were louder but I payed no attention to it.

I had just taken a few steps towards the elevator shaft I came from, until they faltered as I realized it was broken.

"How do we get out of here?" I turned and asked the man.

"I- I- I don't know." He stuttered.

I groaned loudly and grabbed his jaw, forcing him to look at me. His eyes were red and clouded over; even the bags under his eyes had bags. "We need to get out of here or we both die. Think, James."

"James?" His eyes widened slightly.

The door down the hall burst open and an immediate wave of bullets began to fire through the hallway. I pushed James away from the fire line as hard as I could; his body colliding with the wall and I moved against it.

My eyes barely had time to adjust to the scope of my gun before my finger pulled the trigger, sending a tsunami of bullets in their direction. I pulled my eyebrows together in concentration as I focused on ending the lives that stood at the end of the hallway.

The hallway echoed loudly with gunshots and the automatic string from my rifle, and when the last body dropped I turned to look at the man who was now on the floor.