0.1

O D E S S Aukraine

O D E S S A
ukraine

ATHENA

IT HAD been a shit day- that much was obvious. Dirt and dust covered the black combat pants that adorned my legs and I could feel the weight of the stained blood sinking into the heavy fabric.

My steel tipped boots sat comfortably on the dashboard of the HMMWV and my fingers were slightly drumming against the underside of my thigh. Static was playing over the radio and I could just barely make out Ukrainian music playing underneath the tone.

The moon was shining lightly on the flat ground and the cliffs around us; and the sandy parts of the desert reflected it perfectly. In the distance, I saw a reflection of metal in the headlights.

"куди ми йдемо?" The deep voice came from the back, and my eyes narrowed at the glint in the distance. I leaned forward to see what it could have been; but it was too dark to see.

"У Відень, Доктор." I said; as if Ukrainian was my native tongue. Then I leaned back against the chair and pulled out the butterfly knife tucked away in one of the many holsters in my pants. "When we get to Vienna, will you be returning to D.C.?" I asked my partner.

"Most likely. I think that I deserve a break." Natasha Romanoff said to me. Her voice wasn't filled with emotion. Heavy in words, set in stone. Like she didn't have any meaning behind them. Her eyes were focused on only the road.

"I would say." I said through a grunt. "I am going to take a hot shower. Then I am going to eat knödel until I can not move."

The engineer in the back seat started to talk in his native tongue, and Natasha looked back at him for half a second before she turned to look at me. "What is he saying?"

"He said he likes knödel, too. But only with cabbage."

"I would rather just have a burger." Natasha said.

I chucked quietly, twirling the knife in my hand as I did so. "You American's and your American food."

"Technically I'm Russian,"  Natasha raised an eyebrow. "But a good burger is a good burger."

I smiled again. "We have known each other, what? Two months, now? And yet that is the first thing I know of you."

"I like privacy."

The metal glinting was closer to us now, and I set my feet on the floor of the military vehicle and leaned forward to get a better look. My eyebrows scrunched together and my tongue poked out, layering the dry skin in a relief from the heat. It was unusually hot in the middle of the night, and after the day the three of us had, the poor AC was doing little to help.