Chapter 8

CHAPTER 8

I let out a deep sigh with the cathartic sound of the bell telling me I could leave. I grabbed my bag and went straight to the lobby, freezing when I saw Jared through the jumbled chaos of students making their way to their last class. I wanted to turn, but I knew he had seen me. He had been making his way toward me, and worst of all, he knew I had seen him too.

"Electra, wait up."

I stopped, looking around for a possible escape. There was nothing unless I ducked behind a person and followed them. That wouldn't be tactful though.

"Are you trying to avoid me?" His voice lowered and something about it set my nerves off.

"No, I'm not ignoring you. I just. I just have things I need to do."

"Are we really doing this again?" A sad smile tugged at his lips.

"Doing what?"

Jared shook his head, and looked away. "Never mind Electra. You go do your 'thing'." He paused for a moment before looking back. "How about I walk you to your car?"

"Uh." I froze remembering how I'd told him my dad left me his car. "I actually have to go to my locker and talk to a teacher before I leave."

Jared nodded as if he'd expected as much.

"But I'll see you tomorrow."

"Yeah. Tomorrow." Jared turned to leave. He walked out the door, and I took a lap around the inside of the school before declaring it safe enough to leave.

I went down to the locker rooms by the gym and changed into my gym shorts and tennis shoes. I decided to jog my way home. It was a cold run in the crisp fall, Iowa air, but it helped to clear my head. And I hadn't ran in a while. I could see someone sitting in front of my house when I was half a block away. I slowed down, puffs of air coming in short, quick spurts. I could just barely see the clouds in front of me. Seeing someone outside your house wasn't normally unnerving, unless you were a hunter with a record.

As I got closer I realized there was nothing to worry about. It was just Ian.

"What are you doing here?" I put my hands behind my head and stretched.

"Just thought I'd come over so we could talk game plan, make sure we have everything we need. Then maybe we can head out a little early. Check all the exits, scope the place out a bit."

I nodded and stepped around him, letting him inside. This was a totally different Ian than I'd been with the other night. He was completely ready to go. I guess things were better when The Organization gathered everything else for you.

Inside the door, I took my jacket off, hanging it on the coat rack. Ian did the same. We moved into the kitchen, and Ian took a seat at the high bar and I went over to the fridge to get a glass of water.

"I'm going to go change," I said sipping on the water and making my way out of the kitchen.

I left Ian and went up to my room, pulling on jeans and a top. When I went back down I sat across from him.

"So talk," I said.

"Like I said in the text, we have three werewolves. It's the day before the full moon so they're going to be stronger, but they shouldn't be too bad. We have an older male, and two that are roughly our age. Male and female."

"Two males, one female. One older, two younger," I said repeating the information. "We're going to want to be careful about the older one, test his abilities before going at him. He could be skilled."