Chapter 21

Throughout the night mom kept waking up screaming. It woke almost everyone in the house and Bennett couldn't manage having lack of sleep. Being the Alpha and all, his responsibilities drain most of his energy during the day. With no sleep, he's more of a prick then he usually is.

Every time mom woke up, he would be yelling my name. It was his way of telling me to deal with it, or he will take matters into his own hands. And that wasn't going to help mom's psychological health one bit.

They say, never wake a beast when he is sleeping.

I'd get up from bed and Greyson would follow me. He apologized on behalf of how Bennett was being rude and said it was due how their wolves' act in an animalistic nature. I honestly told him that if they always blamed their behavior on the wolves, no one will buy their excuses.

You can always teach an old dog new tricks.

"You don't have to get up." I told him.

My head pounded in tiredness. When I stared at Greyson's complexion, I envied how fresh and flawless he looked despite having gotten out of bed. His tousled bed hair made it hard for me to look at him without flushing, especially when he grinned. Just imagining how we stand together in comparison makes me think we don't suit each other. He was genetically made to look perfect, while am average.

He likes me only because we're so-called mates.

The door to mom's room was already opened when I entered inside. Greyson remained outside the door because he knew being inside would further agitate my mom, like the last time.

Charlotte was already inside, tucking herself beside mom in bed. "Celeste is here mom, see?" My eyes prickled to hold back my tears, seeing my mother so disheveled.

I ended up having to join them in bed because mom didn't want me to leave. Charlotte and I sandwiched between her as she held both our hands, tucked close to her heart. Her hands shook until she fell asleep and she didn't wake up from night terrors after that. However, because Dr. O'Dell told us to, we shook her a couple times to make sure she was still responsive due to the hairline concussion on her head.

As I took a glance at the bedroom door, I would guessed Greyson had returned to his room.

The next day, I woke up first. Charlotte and mom were lightly breathing and still asleep. Mom still had her hand clasped on mine and I slowly removed it without waking her. I got up and stretched my sore back feeling the tension there relax. Usually when I slept in Greyson's room, this would be around the time he would get up and prepare for the errands Bennett will assign him.

I tip-toed to the door and pushed it gradually open. A figure was rested against the wall sitting on the ground. I looked down and found Greyson with his eyes pressed tightly closed and yawning. He shook his head almost the same way dogs did after petting them. The mannerism was cute that I almost patted his head to see if he would nudge his face into my palm.

What the hell am I thinking, he's not a pet!

When he saw me, he smiled and said. "Good morning." It was too early in the morning for my face to redden the way it did. Something deep inside me itched. It was like I wanted to scratch the center of my chest but there was no physical reason why.

His bright curious eyes watched me. "Celeste are you alright?"

I nodded and clutched my fist over my chest demanding my stupid heart to stop pounding so fast.

"Did you stay here all night?" I asked him dumbfounded.

He stretched his arms and warmed up his neck muscles before hopping to his feet. "I got up one time to take as night stroll around the house."