Chapter 24

"He shits you not." Gran added with amusement on her face.

Mom's face drained to white and right there, where everyone stood in a circle and fainted--well..that's what I thought she would do. Instead, she swung her coiled fist at Bennett, hitting him square in the nose and sending the burly man leaning backwards.

Bennett didn't expect it; his eyes widened on impact. Mom's knuckles reddened and I could just imagine the pain she was in for punching him. It was like hitting a bolder-hard as stone. Before he could fall gracelessly, Bennett expanded his stance to keep a firm balance with the ground. A growl emitted from the back of his throat and his grip tightened around mom's small wrist, weakening her fist.

Mom winced, but she didn't falter from the menacing gaze Bennett had on her. The two were on a head on collision, heading for disaster.

"You don't tell me stuff like that concerning my son! Dumb jokes can get people like you killed!"

Bennett sneered. "Threatening me as if you could harm a single piece of hair on my head. That takes guts and most people here don't have that. If you weren't Celeste's mother, you wouldn't be here right now breathing."

Mom's brow arched up. "Egotistical son of a-

"Mom." I stopped her. "He's telling the truth...Trent is a werewolf."

She scowled and blew out a frustrated sigh, than shook her head as if not believing it. "No...you." She pointed at Bennett. "You did something to my children. I'm going to find out what it is and report you to the police. You're going to face grave charges for kidnaping, assault and whatever the hell I can dig up to keep you in bars for the rest of your life."

"Go ahead, you can't even leave my territory." Bennett challenged.

He crossed his arms and narrowed his eyes.

"Charlotte, tell her about Trent." Maybe she could make mom believe.

She hesitantly placed herself in front of our mother. "They are telling the truth mom. Trent really is a werewolf. I saw him transform into a huge wolf right in front of me. It happened last night."

"I don't believe this." Mom spat.

"Believe it." Gran wrapped her arm around Charlotte's and stood right next to her sending mom a stern look. "I've told you beasts are real. But you never believed me and now your children are very much a part of this world whether you like it or not. Accept this and it would be easier for you to stay being a part of their lives."

"I'm dreaming aren't I? This is a nightmare and when I wake up, everything will be back to normal." Mom closed her eyes and took steady deep breaths. "There won't be you or that annoying man." Bennett flinched. "Charlotte and Trent will be arguing about something ridiculous and my sweet Celeste will have dinner ready for me to us to eat so that I can prepare for my night shift at the hospital."

"What about me, where do I fit into your dream?" Gran mumbled.

Mom's eyes opened abruptly and she looks at each person with shock. "This isn't a dream." She points out the obvious.

Bennett rolls his eyes. "This is absurd. I have so much to deal with, especially with that rogue in my territory."

Charlotte looks on concerned. "Mom, this is real."

"Pinch me!" Mom grabs Charlotte's hand and nears it to her forearm.

Bennett growls. "For the love of-Come here!"

He grabs her arm and drags her behind him as he stalks down the hall. Mom repeatedly voices out the pain caused by his grasp, which was proof enough that she wasn't dreaming, but Bennett continued to tow her to the destination his mind as set on.