Chapter Eight - Dog Days

Lucas didn't drive us to the hospital, instead he drove us back to my house. Lucy and I exchanged looks, and then stared at Lucas.

"What the hell Lucas?" Lucy said, "We need to get her arm looked at."

Lucas Shrugged his shoulders. "Out, now. Both of you, get your shit, and get out."

I slapped Lucas across the face. "You know what? I love you, there. I loved you anyways, and you knew that from the beginning. Then you kissed me in Lucy's room, like that didn't matter to you!"

"Anna, Lucas did what?" Lucy asked, staring at Lucas.

"Lucy," Lucas said, "Anna told me to kiss her, I swear."

I got out of the car, and grabbed the Macy's bag. I walked up to the front door, and knocked on it gently. Liz opened the door, and helped me inside. I waved to Lucy and Lucas, and then went inside.

"Oh Anna." Liz said, wiping away the tears on my face.

I buried my face in my hands, and started to cry even harder. "Liz, did mom really die because of a heart failure?"

Liz wrapped her arms around me. "That doctor is full of shit, and he will pay for all of it one day."

I wiped away the tears, and stood up. "So you mean.... My parents didn't die? But when I was in surgery, I saw my mom and dad and sister."

"What do you mean Anna?" Liz asked, tilting her head in confusion.

"When I was under anesthesia, I saw a really distorted face of Lucas, and then I saw my parents and sister..." I said, looking out the window.

"Anna," Liz said, "you should really talk to someone about this. The place I work at, there's some people I want you to meet."

"You mean at the Mental Hospital?" I asked, laughing a little.

"I work as a therapist there Anna," Liz said, "and you should volunteer there with me."

"When do I start?" I asked, trying to sound unhappy.

"We'll head out tomorrow morning," Liz said, "despite of school, and because you need a break anyways."

I smiled. Liz had worked at the mental hospital for many years now, and she was a pretty good therapist. Ever since my parents and sister supposedly died, Liz had a therapy session every week down at the mental hospital, and I remember meeting this sweet kid named Johnny. His mom had abused him because he was blind, and no one accepted him at school. The mental hospital is just what I call it, it's actually a place for children and teens up to the age of 18 to live, so to speak. It's called Rosemary's Hospital, and it's right by the beach. So there's a pretty good view of the beach, and the outdoors.

At 7:00pm, Liz ordered pizza for dinner, and I headed into my mom's room. The prom dress hung in the closet, and the crown sat on the desk. My mom's MacBook Pro sat on the desk, untouched. So I cautiously walked over to the desk, and opened the laptop. My mom had 30 unread emails, and 3 computer updates. I grabbed the cord, and plugged it into the wall, and into the laptop, and sat on the master bed.

After the computer updated, I opened up my mom's emails. Her friend Kelsey Jordan and her had been exchanging emails throughout the week... I cautiously read the emails, and then called Liz into the room.

"What is it Anna?" Liz asked, looking at the emails.

"Mom has been emailing her friend throughout the week." I said, scrolling through the emails.

"That doesn't make any sense at all." Liz said, reading the most current email reply.

It read:

Kelsey,
Anna isn't my child. She was in the car crash, and she is living with Liz now. I know this is confusing, but Anna is adopted. She was in a foster home for months, and she was coming home with us, when my husband Jeremy purposefully crashed the car. Hope all is well, see you soon.

I couldn't believe what I had just read, neither could Liz. Liz called the police, and told them about the emails. I called Lucy, and told her to come over right away. A few minutes later, I heard a knock on the front door and let Lucy in.

"Lucy," I said, "Whatever Lucas told you was a lie, he came into your room and kissed me."

"Anna, I don't care about that." Lucy said, giving me a shy smile.

I couldn't believe what Lucy was saying, I thought for sure she would be pissed off at me. I thought Lucy would stick up for Lucas, and blab on about how much she loved him. But she didn't, which surprised me.

"Lucy," I said, "I need you to understand that, thats the first time Lucas actually kissed me."

Lucy laughed. "Really? He won't shut up about helping you."

"What?" I asked, motioning her to sit down.

"We want to tell you that Lacey, and Connor......" Lucy said, hesitating.

"Lacey and Connor are...?" I asked, knowing what Lucy was trying to say. "Their dating, typical."

My heart broke into a million pieces, and I felt completely hurt. First Lucas rejected me, and then Connor is just using me? I couldn't process everything, and I felt like the whole world was coming down on me. Lucy hugged me tightly, and I started to cry.