~49~

Back in Long Island, Mat and I had settled back into some sense of normalcy. Although we didn't have long because Casino Night was this Thursday. That left me 4 days to wrap up what schoolwork I had for the week and prep myself for the night. From what I understand, it's pretty glamourous.

The night of the event, I got ready at Mat's,not letting him see me until I was completely ready. Sophia had done my hairand swept it all up in a fancy updo. I was doing my makeup in the bathroommirror before I slid into my dress. Mat had already gotten ready and washanging out in the living room. I put my heels on and give myself one last lookin the mirror before walking out of the bedroom. 

"You ready babe?" I ask Mat, putting a couple things in my little clutch purse. "Yep let's" Mat starts, standing and turning. When he sees me, his eyes go wide and he doesn't say anything else.

"What? It is too much?" I ask, looking down at the dress. "No no it's uh. It's perfect. You look absolutely stunning." He says. "Well you don't look so bad yourself." I say, coming up to him and straightening his bowtie. "Not as good as you though, god damn." He says. I blush and kiss him. "That dress isn't gonna be on long once we get home." He mutters as we walk out the door. "Oh is that what you think Barzal?" I ask as he opens the door for me. "It's what I know, Callahan." He says before closing it.

We pull up at the glittering Casino and a valet takes Mat's car to park. Mat holds his arm out for me, which I take as we enter. There's music blaring, slot machines dinging and a ton of other sounds that overwhelmed me at first but then Mat led me over to where Anthony and Lauren were and I was more comfortable with my girlfriends. There was a red carpeted area with an Islanders backdrop where the guys were to get their picture taken. Mat went and gathered with his teammates as they posed for a team picture. Then they invited the girls in. Mat slid his hand around my waist and pulled me close. Then each guy had their own picture taken and I got my picture taken with Mat and with Lauren and some of the other girls. "Girl you look gorgeous!" Emily says. "She looks amazing, I'm surprise Mat didn't pounce before they left." Megan says. "He tried, believe me." I laugh, taking a sip of the drink I had gotten. "Have you guys done anything though? In all seriousness." Lauren whispers in my ear. "No, I just haven't gotten over the last guy who used me and then decided I wasn't enough." I say, looking into my drink. Lauren takes my hand and leads me over to a couple chairs and we sit down. "Girl, Mat's not like those other guys. He used to be. Before he met you. You've changed his life you know that right?" She says. "Yeah I know. And it's not like I don't want to, I just am afraid eventually he'll tire of me and get that and drop an act." I say solemnly. "Hun, Mat loves you. He loves you with his entire being. I wish you could see it as an outsider because the rest of us can see how much he wants and needs you all the time. The fact that he hasn't expressed being angry about that just proves it and not all guys are like that. I'm not saying go home and do it tonight but just realize that he will not leave you. He loves you and wants to always take care of you. The Mathew that puts his girlfriend first is the Mathew we all love and want good things for." She explains. "Thanks Laur, I'll think about that. Actually he did mention something about it before we came. And I was thinking about going through with it." I say. "Good, don't do what you're not ready to. I'm just telling you not to be afraid anymore because you have someone the adores the HELL out of you." She says. "Thanks Laur." I say, hugging her. We go back to the girls and we dance and party a bit before Mat comes to find me. "Ready to go have some fun?" He asks. I nod and follow him over to some tables and we play a couple games. "Wait until I get you alone." He mumbles in my ear before playing. "Mathew!" I exclaim, playfully slapping his stomach.

At around 11, Mat goes to get the car from the valet as I say goodbye to my friends. I hop in and we head back home.