~9~

Once we both get out of our cars, we head inside where there is pulsating music and a crowded dance floor. The smell of alcohol and oddly enough, vanilla fill my nose as soon as we enter. Mat places a hand on my back, guiding me to a lounge area near the bar, away from the dance floor and music, which was still loud. I sit down in one of the cushy seats and Mat places a hand on my arm and leans down to my ear "Do you want something?" He asks, over the loud music. "Rum and coke." I tell him. He nods and smiles before leaving me alone at the table.  A moment later, he returns with two glasses. He hands me my drink and he sits down next to me on the loveseat chair thing, beer in hand and puts an arm around the back of the seat where I was sitting. We start talking about the game for a while before a girl in a super short dress and really tall studded heels walks over to us. "Matty?" She asks. Mat looks up at her and instantly, his arm leaves the spot where it was behind me and he leans forward on both knees but he positioned his arm to cover me. "Abby." He says, almost in disbelief. "I thought that was you over here." She says, flashing a bright white smile at him. "What are you doing in Long Island, I thought you moved to Florida." He questions. This girl looks fake in so many ways. She obviously had a boob job and spray tan, far too much makeup and the dress she was wearing looked like a second skin. "I did but that job got so boring so I came back home." She explains. "Who's this?" She adds, motioning to me. "This is Lexi, she's a friend of mine." He says. I wrap a hand under his arm, which was shielding me from her and place it on his bicep. "It's nice to meet you." I say, staring her right in the eye and smiling fakely. "Mat, you wanna grab a drink at the bar?" She asks. He slightly lifts his half full beer glass and she says "Well, maybe later. Catch me on the dancefloor." She says, whipping around and heading back towards the music. "I'm so sorry." Mat says, whipping towards me the second she's gone. "It's fine. Who is she?" I ask. "An old girlfriend, but it's over I promise. She got a job in Florida as a model and I guess she moved back." He says. "It's fine, I believe you." I say, leaning forward and hugging him. Words I hoped I'd never regret.

A bit later, after we both had some alcohol in us, Mat took my hand and we went to the dancefloor where we started dancing. I just got really close to him and put my arms around his neck and he had his around my waist. We just swayed to the pace of the music. After a minute or two, I tiptoed so I was next to his ear and I practically yelled "I'm gonna use the restroom." He nods and I scurry off to the bathroom. When I'm finished, I check my makeup and hair in the bathroom mirror and then I head back out to find Mat. I glance around and spot him in the middle of the floor, where everyone else was grinding on each other. Just then, someone's head moves out of the way and I can see the fake blonde from earlier forcing herself on Mat. I'm instantly filled with jealousy. I should've known. My dad warned me about hockey players ever since I was old enough to date. Pissed, I force my way through people to start heading towards the door to leave. When I get there, I turn back to see Mat again trying to keep his hands off the girl grinding on his front. He literally has his hands on the back of his head. Abby turns around and says something to him, to which Mat shakes his head no. She looks like she's pleading for something and he continues to say no. She pulls herself close to his front and goes to kiss him. He pushes her away and forces his way through the crowd, shaking his head. He heads towards the exit and when he looks up and sees me standing there, a look of sadness washes over his face. "Lex, I-" He starts. I turn towards the door and push it open. "Lex, wait!" He calls after me. I'm almost at my car when he catches up to me. "Lex." He says, grabbing a hold of my wrist. I stop and turn to him and he looks genuinely upset by what just happened. Instead of being jealous and bitchy, all I do is hug him, I don't say anything I just wrap my arms around his neck. He breathes a sigh of relief and buries his face in my neck. He squeezes me really tight. "Lex, I'm sorry." He murmurs in my neck. "I know, it's ok." I say, placing a hand on the back of his head, weaving my fingers through his dark hair. "You didn't do anything, I saw the whole thing." I whisper. "Really?" He asks, letting go of the hug. "Really."  I say, putting a hand on the side of his face. "Then why did you storm out?" He asks. "Would you rather have had this moment in there?" I ask, sarcastically. He laughs and then pulls me in for a hug. "Good point." He says, still laughing. "I should get back though, early start tomorrow." I say, referring to my 8am class. "Same. I'll talk to you later." He responds, pulling me into him. We stand there in silence for a minute or two before he starts to pull away. We say our goodbyes and then we get in our cars and head home.

On my way home from hanging out with Mat, I get a call from an unknown number. My phone said that it was from Philadelphia. Figuring that it could literally be anybody, specifically someone with an internship opportunity, I answered. "Lexi Callahan." I answer. "How the hell are you, Lex?" A familiar voice rings into my ear, almost making me drop my phone. "Alex." I manage to say. "How's it going, beautiful?" He asks. Hearing him just brings back all the awful memories that were associated with him. Walking into the apartment he was living in to surprise him with dinner and there he was, with a random girl in the bed that we had shared the night and many nights before. "Fine." Is all I say. "what, not even a hello?" He asks. He sounds like the devil. "You don't deserve a hello." I say, keeping my eyes on the road. "Look, I wanted to apologize for all that's happened. You know I didn't mean for any of that to happen-" He starts. "Bullshit." I cut him off. "Anyways, I got the call up to Philly so I'll be playing against the Isles in a few weeks, since I know you live up that way, you need to be there. I want to see you." He rambles. "I don't think so. Fuck off." I say, hanging up the phone before he can respond. Realizing that I'm going almost 80 miles an hour, I roll the window down, slow my speed and let the cool air cool me off. I let out a heavy breath through puffed cheeks.

I arrive back home and just head straight tobed, not forgetting to tell Mat thank you for the game and drinks and congratson the win. I figure it best that I not tell Mathew about Alex yet. I heard myphone buzz right before I fell asleep but I just let my eyes droop closed andtake me to dreamland