~45~

MONDAY MORNING

We had to wake up really early Monday morning to catch the bus to the airport in Vegas. We had the day off yesterday so we spent it walking around the Vegas strip and doing tourist things. I slept most of the flight home and texted Lexi when we landed, letting her know it would still be a while until we got back to Northwell.

Once the bus pulled into the Northwell practice rink's parking lot, we quickly unload our things in the dressing room and I hurry out to my car and head towards Stony Brook.

Once I arrive, I head up to Lexi's building to get her and take her out for lunch. She has no idea I'm coming directly to her.

I knock on her door and she opens in. "Mat!" She squeals, jumping into my arms, hugging me tightly. "Hi baby" I say, my voice muffled by her shoulder, which my face is buried in. "I missed you." She says, letting go of the embrace.

"I missed you too babe, you want to grab something to eat?" I ask.

"Sure, let me just grab a coat." She says, scurrying off to her room. I plop down on the couch in their living area and wait for her. She returns a moment later with a hat on her head and a thick black coat and a scarf. It's bitterly cold in New York for January and I forgot all about it, being in Vegas for a while.

We head out to my car and I let her pick where to eat. "Panera!" She exclaims when I tell her it's her choice.

We arrive after a few minutes and order. I sit across the table from her and once we have our food, I snap a picture of her and put it on my Instagram story with the caption "Back home with my girl. It's been too long."

She adds the post to her story as well

She adds the post to her story as well. "Hey so babe, I have a question." I ask. She looks up at me with a mouth full of food so I begin speaking again.

"After the all star break, in like March, we have Casino Night. It's a charity thing we all have to go to but we're allowed to bring dates so I was wondering if you wanna go. I would most likely be busy running one of the tables but once I'm done, I'm all yours." I explain.

"Sure! Sounds like fun. Oh, also, while you were gone, I got asked to join the Lady Isles officially." She says, referring to the small group of the team's WAGS that do charity work. She had been asked around finals but she had to politely decline until after the semester was over.

"That's great babe! Way to represent." I joke,holding my hand out for a high five, which she does. "I'm nervous though, I'venever done something like this before." She adds. "You'll be great, yourfriends are in the group, Emily, Lauren, Cassie. Plus, it'll look really goodfor your extracurriculars and resume." I say. "That's a good point." She says,continuing eating her food. "You should go with the girls in a couple weeks toget their dresses for Casino night. It's a big deal, we have to wear tuxes andthe girls get all dolled up and wear nice dresses." I explain. "Ok, I'll textCassie about it later." She says.