Chapter Sixty

Chapter Sixty

"Look who's up," Victor comments as he locks the door behind him. He has something in his hand, a dark object. A gun? No, it's too small. He turns, his scarred face inducing my nausea further. The bread and water do not sit well in my stomach. I shouldn't have eaten it. Who knows what they did to it?

"Had a nice nap, sweetheart?"

I am going to get my hands around his neck if it's the last thing I do.

"Not responding to me, huh?" He begins to circle around me and I do not even flinch as he does. "Let's hope your lover somehow finds a way to get all the money quick."

I look down, not even sparing another glance at his face of evil. I feel empowered in the way. He does not deserve a sparing look. Not after all he's done. He ruined the one chance of a normal life I could have had. He ripped my family apart, caused my father to disappear, and now...my mother is dead. My mother is cold to the touch because of him and I could not even have a second of a goodbye before his gun was aimed at me.

A sudden yank of my hair makes me yelp.

"Look at me when I'm talking to you."

Despite the pain, I shut my eyes tight. It's just pain. It's just a physical reaction. He has done way more emotional damage that will hurt for longer and deeper. It's just pain.

Suddenly, I hear a static sound before a jolt sets my body on fire. I can't help but let out the loudest scream I have ever produced. Every part of me feels shaken from my skin and bones, almost as if my insides are being ripped out but are mashing with my bones. When it's over, I am still buzzing and reeling. My heartbeat feels erratic and I cannot piece together what's happening.

Victor squats down before me, not touching me but looking me square in the eye. Everything hurts. He smirks, pulling up the small object—a taser. "I can't kill you. But remember I need to have my fun. After so long, I finally have the power to hurt your father and your corrupt family once again. So you will do whatever I say, understood?"

My mouth feels dry again.

"Do. You. Understand?" He presses the taser close again.

I nod, my words tumbling out as if they're running over each other. "Y-Yes. I underst-t-and."

"Perfect," he replies. I can't keep my eyes open as I hear him stand and his footsteps reach the door. "We are going to have some fun, Ivory. Just you wait."

The door shuts behind him. I hear a switch being turned. The room becomes dark.

I am swallowed by a blanket of black.

When you're in a completely dark space by yourself and no one regulates anything, it's hard to tell how much time has passed. With no pens or anything to scratch what I think might be the hours or days, I find myself losing the realities of time. Everything feels surreal.

I recall Victor threatening the room that he wanted his money in hours. It must only be minutes that are slipping through the slots in my mind. It puts me at ease. This will be over soon.

The door creaks open again. This time, I am unprepared. I did not hear the footsteps. I do not know how much energy I have. I have been asleep for what feels like days. Or maybe I've been awake. It's hard to tell as darkness surrounds either sense. I have felt so hungry and thirsty that I am numb to it all.

A sliver of light grows onto the floor and ceiling from the door opening. It crawls over until it reaches my eyes. I am lying down, my cheek pressing the floor. It's too bright.