Chapter Fourteen

Hey. I know, author's note in the beginning? I just want to tell you guys that you should play the link on the side when they start singing. It's Hunter Hayes. He's such a good singer. (: Oh, and it's one of my favorite covers. And coz it's a duet 

---

Started With a Lie - Chapter Fourteen

The first thing I notice when I wake up is the empty space next to me. Where’s Lee? I run my hands over the empty space—my hands getting caught in the tangled sheets. He really shouldn’t be out of bed: he’s sick.

            Groaning, I get out of bed. I don’t want to get out of bed, though. I mean, who would leave the warmth of the soft covers just to get out in the freezing outside. I must’ve fallen asleep at some point during the movie.

            I suddenly hear a guitar playing.

            I wrap my sweatshirt around me tighter as I make my way to the living room. The tune gets louder. Is Lee playing guitar? That seems so… weird. To confirm my thought, I tiptoe into the living room where Lee’s sitting—his back to me—and his fingers strumming the guitar while he softly sings.

            “Everything that don’t make sense about me, makes sense when I’m with you,” Lee sings. I think I know this song. It’s so familiar. I try to place the thought. Lee continues singing.

            “I wanna wrap you up, wanna kiss your lips, I… wanna make you feel wanted,” he sings. “I wanna call you mine, wanna hold your hand forever. Never let you forget it.

            And then I know.

            Wanted by Hunter Hayes—one of my ultimate favorite songs.

            I must’ve made some sort of noise because Lee stops mid-way through a word. The guitar stops and he turns to me, his eyes widening. I take a step back—as if I can still hide so he can keep playing because honestly, his voice is actually good.

            “What’re you doing?” Lee asks, narrowing his eyes down at me. “When did you get here?” I think he’s more embarrassed than mad. His cheeks are turning a bit red.

            “J-Just now,” I stutter. He gets up with his guitar and heads to his room to put it away. I follow him. “You sing really good, you know?”

            Lee puts his guitar in his closet before turning to me. I expect him to say something close to, “I know,” but he actually says, “Thanks.” I’m taken back. Lee has manners? Since when?

            He heads to the kitchen. The orange, afternoon shine is radiating the room. I bet it’s around three. That means I must’ve slept more than two hours. Lee makes himself a sandwich. “Want one?”

            “Yeah,” I reply as I take a seat. “Hey, why didn’t you wake me up?”

            “What do you mean?”

            “I slept over a couple hours, and you were sick. Something could’ve happened to you while I was asleep,” I argue.

            “I’m not even that sick anymore. The fever’s gone down and all I have is a cough and a couple of sneezes. Stop worrying. If anything, you’re acting like my girlfriend,” Lee says nonchalantly. It doesn’t affect him but it makes my heart pound a little faster.

            “Whatever.” I try to sound cool as possible. “So, when’d you learn guitar? I didn’t take you for a sensitive type of guy who played guitar.”