Chapter Fifty

Chapter Fifty

"Come with me to visit my family over Thanksgiving break," Daniel tells me one November afternoon when we're lounging around in the dorm kitchen.

            I'm mixing a cake batter, sitting on top of one of the counters. He stands next to me, watching, playing with my hair and occasionally stealing frosting. The small television in the corner is on some soap opera about a rich girl and poor guy. It looks horrible as the characters dramatically swoon for each other, but Daniel and I pretend to watch anyway.

              I stop mixing my cake, looking sideways at him. "What?"

            "Come to Boston with me. It's just for a couple days," he says.

             "What? To meet your parents?"

             "Yeah, and my little brother, Devon."

            "Your parents?"

             "Yes."

             "That's a big deal, Daniel," I say, putting down the bowl and giving him all my attention. "I mean, we've only just begun going out and I'm still not used to us being a couple but to meet your family? That scares me."

             He leans in and kisses me on the cheek. That's the only place he's kissed so far. Just like he's promised, he's done everything right to make me comfortable. "Well, I'm serious about you. It doesn't have to be serious if you don't want to though. Think of it as a quick road trip and a free turkey dinner."

               My mind runs to Mom, who hasn't changed at all lately. It's almost been half a year since her accident if you think about it. What was my plan for Thanksgiving this year anyway? Sit in my empty dorm room in this soon to be empty building since everyone is going home for Thanksgiving and just eat leftover takeout from the night before? Mope and weep and maybe sleep the break away, occasionally doing homework? Maybe go get some frozen dinners and eat with Mom in the hospital?

           "Daniel," I say even though I'm pretty sure I'm going to give in. "I don't know...."

              "Listen, my parents will love you," he says. His hands find their way to my back and he pulls me closer, his eyes cast down affectionately at me. "What's not to love about you?"

               Cheeseball. Although my hands are a bit dirty from the flour and eggs I mixed in earlier, they rest on his chest, where it always feels safe. "You think?" I murmur, looking down. I haven't even met Lee's mother. My eyes widen at the dangerous line I've crossed once again. No more Lee, I told myself. So, no more. "Okay."

             "Yeah?" Daniel says and his signature grin spreads across his face, the one that makes the corners of his eyes all wrinkly and makes me feel like a splash of warmness has spread inside my own chest.

              "How can I say no to you?" I say, smiling, as I lay my head down on his chest for a while. We've survived two months of college together. I can survive a weekend or a couple of days with his family. Besides, Thanksgiving is in a week. I have time to prepare to be the best girlfriend I can be. Nothing some apple pie can't fix.

            He pulls away, still grinning. "You're the best."

            "I know." I grin along and then continue mixing the cake batter. Giselle's, my carefree hippie roommate's, birthday is in a couple of days and we're trying to throw her a big surprise party but so far this cake situation is not working out. This is the third cake of the day and they're all coming out plain. They don't taste bad but they're not sweet enough to count as cake. "Now help me out with this cake."