Chapter Twenty-Six

Chapter Twenty-Six

I’m dreaming of something sweet.

    “Here’s some cotton candy,” Lee says. He’s dressed in a blue plaid shirt and jeans—the most casual I’ve probably ever seen him. His hair is gelled in different directions and he has a piece of cotton candy in his hand. He uses his other hand to open my mouth and feeds me the bright pink, fluffy cotton candy. It melts in my mouth.

    “Lee?” I ask. I look around. We’re sitting at one of those picnic tables in the middle of a very green park. Trees surround us and I think I see the sun reflecting off of a lake nearby.

    “Yes, my love?” Lee replies. He grabs my right hand and rubs circles on the back of my palm. “What can I do for my baby?”

    I blush and feel heat spreading to every edge of my face. Lee’s calling me sweet names. He’s usually either calling me “Miss Ivory” or telling me how much of an idiot I am.

    “Uh, where are we?” I ask.

    “On a date, of course.”

    “A date?”

    “Yes, beautiful,” he replies and I feel my face reddening again. This can’t be Lee. He’s being too sweet and careful. “You look so good today, Ivory. That dress looks amazing.”

    I look down to myself and see I’m in a gorgeous white dress. It’s a floor-touching gown and has butterflies made out of white cotton on the straps. It has ruffles and it’s soft and I love it. My hair seems to be in some sort of bun. I feel the texture of the dress and realize there’s something on my hand.

        A ring.

        I gasp, standing up. There’s a huge ring finger on my left hand. I can’t stop staring at it. Did Lee give it to me? I look up but the scenery changes.  Suddenly, we’re directly in front of the lake and Lee’s in a tux. He looks dashing in his black suit and black bowtie. There’s a priest next to us and to my left, there’s a billion people—strangers I’ve never even met. I see my mother in the front row with Brent and Candy, who’s holding a baby. They have a baby? Mom’s awake?

        “Mom?” I say. “Candy? Brent? What’s going on?”

        All Mom does is smile really big and shouts, “Say I do, Ivory!”

        “Do you, Ivory Flores, take Lee Richardson to be your lawfully wedded husband till both you shall live? In sickness and health, in richness and poor, in life and death?” the priest asks, facing me. He smiles cheerfully with his rosy cheeks.

        “Me?” I say. “I’m getting married?”

        Lee chuckles next to me. “Of course, honey.”  He’s holding both my hands in his. “You’re so funny, sometimes.” He kisses my forehead.

        I’m getting married to Lee? The Lee Richardson?

        “Hell yeah!” I say. “Of course, I do.”

        “You may kiss the bride,” the priest yells.

        Everybody cheers and stands up, clapping. I see my mother jumping up and down and Brent grinning along. Candy rocks her baby as she stands up, smiling at me also. They throw rose petals that land on my hair and suddenly, Lee grabs me by the waist.

        “Ivory Flores, you have no idea how long I have waited for this exact moment,” he tells me, holding me gently. One of his hands rub my cheek and he stares at me with his beautiful eyes and I melt. “I love you, baby.”