𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 01

((a/n: Idk if anyone will be interested but for the brave soul that has chosen to read it; I apologize for my cringy writing and irregular updating schedule op. This chap is probably gonna be a little short-ish and lowkey a lil fast-paced since it's mostly just an intro chap idk))

~~~

The sounds of screams and cries filled the air as a large lizard-like creature flew around high in the sky. It circled around a few times before swooping down, breathing a column of fire that successfully set one of the few unburned houses aflame.

The smell of smoldering wood and burned flesh was thick in the air as the large red dragon showed absolutely no mercy on the people below. None of them could have predicted that the large beast would come down from a nearby mountain and burn the whole village to the ground. The place that once had been the peaceful village of Shadowfort was now a wasteland of burned down buildings and burned corpses.

It only took a few hours after the dragon retreated for smaller monsters to settle themselves in the wreckage of the village, nestling down in the ruins and feeding on the corpses that laid all over the place.

Word of the dragon attack came to the neighboring village a few days later when a traveler had passed by. Whispers spread quickly with many questions on why the dragon attacked out of nowhere.

Two witchers by the names Yunna and Dravac had been sent to clear the place of monsters so the corpses, or what was left of them at least, could be buried.

It was easy to deal with the small creatures and the two witchers used no time to clear the village. They were about to leave when a soft sound caught Yunna's attention.

"Do you hear that? It sounds like... crying" she spoke softly, yellow eyes scanning the area for the source of the sound. She made her way to one of the burnt down houses at the edge of the village, moving some debris aside to reveal a hidden latch that leads to a basement.

Davac went down to investigate the sound, returning not even a minute later with a small bundle of blankets in his arms. He looked at the female in front of him with a frown, lowering the blankets to reveal a baby wrapped in the blankets.

A small envelope was attached to the baby. Davac took it after handing the baby to Yunna who made quick work of calming the fussing child down. The light brown-haired male opened the envelope to reveal a letter along with another envelope.

If you find this letter it means that the dragon has attacked and we are no longer here. Who I am does not matter, as I am no longer around. The little bundle is my daughter Shaela, and I want to request that you take care of her, or bring her somewhere where she will be safe. I have also disclosed another letter for her to read once she is old enough containing things only she can know.

The letter was short and had no name written at the bottom, but it was clear from the messy writing that whoever wrote it had been the mother of the baby. The two witchers gave each other a concerned look.

"We can't just leave her out here..." Yunna mumbled softly, glancing down at the baby that had just fallen asleep in her arms. She smiled softly at the child, gently rocking her back and forth to keep her asleep.

Davac smiled at the sight of his partner with a baby in her arms, and the way her eyes lit up with a love he hadn't seen before on her. That was when an idea came to him and he stepped closer to the two.

"We can take her in. We won't even be able to have a child of our own, but maybe we can raise her" he spoke softly, grinning at the way Yunna looked at him with wide eyes filled with excitement. A grin of her own spread across her face at the idea of getting to raise a child, even if she wasn't her own child.

"Yes. We'll raise her as our own" she spoke softly, smiling down at the sleeping baby in her arms.