><> Chapter Fourty-Three <><

Mum and I spent the whole afternoon playing Backgammon and drinking tea. Neither of us had ever played before, and we soon became preoccupied with working out the rules of the strange, medieval-looking game. 

Once we had figured this out, we quickly became addicted and poured hours of our energy into moving the little counters across the zig-zaggy board, taking each other's pieces and learning new tricks and tactics every time.

I had to admit, this had been the most genius idea. We had spent all this wonderful quality time together and not argued about Dad or SKANX once.

At about seven o'clock, Mum walked me down Josephine Avenue, and through the snaky little streets of Coney back to catch the boat to Starfish.

It was still raining and we huddled under her red umbrella. I linked her arm as we strolled happily along. Finally, I felt like mother and daughter again, and in the absence of frustration and anger I realized how much I'd missed her.

When we got to the boat stop, she put her arm around my shoulders and pulled me to her. I leaned in and we embraced for a good couple of minutes. When I pulled apart we found ourselves in a gap of silence which we both knew was the place that should be filled with questions and answers.

We stood there mutely. The questions were on the tip of my tongue ready to be rolled out: Are you coming home? Do you still love Dad? What are you doing?!  Yet somehow the moment just seemed to pass us by and I found myself saying goodbye to her, and getting on the boat.

The boat was like a mini ferry, dropping islanders back and forth from Starfish three times a day. There were about five rows of plastic benches and I took a seat towards the right, just by the window.

I rubbed away the condensation, and waved to my Mum through the window as the boat pulled out. She looked sad as she stood there alone under her umbrella. My mother usually had the poise of a lioness, standing tall, proud and resilient. But today she looked small and vulnerable. 

I thought I had known exactly what was going on with her, but today had left me somewhat doubting the angry conclusions I had jumped to. I was more confused then ever.

"Crystal!" squealed a voice excitedly, interrupting my thoughts.

My head snapped to the left where to my delight, I found Rosie perched on the same bench as me.

"Oh my gosh!" I cried shuffling down closer to her.

Rosie was halfway unzipped out of her raincoat and struggling to get the arm off. When she finally freed herself she hugged me.

We both sat there giggling for a while. We were amused for some reason to bump into each other like this on this dreary old day. I don't know why this tickled us exactly, I never did most of the time.

"So, how are you Crystal White?" said Rosie finally, breaking up the silliness. She leaned in and whispered. "How's the mer-mance?"

I giggled all over again. Mermance. How cute!

"At present its a total wash out," I informed her. "How's your...." I paused, what could I coin a regular relationship? "Hum-ance?" I finished lamely.

"It's good," said Rosie slowly. She didn't seem quite so sure.

"But?" I prompted.

"He wants to go to Australia for a few months... check it out," she said dejectedly.

Hmm. I can actually see why this would trouble her.

"I don't know, he just came out with it the other day," she continued. "He wants to go surf out there. But Crystal, if he goes, I just don't see him coming back in a couple of months. I mean he keeps saying he really likes me and everything, but that he has to go over there, it's his life dream..."

I thought this over for a bit. I didn't want to agree with her and crush her, but I kind of sensed she could be right. What twenty-something year old surfer would come back after a few months? Will worked for his father and wouldn't be under any pressure to rush back. There would aways be a job waitimg for him. 

"Oh Rose, I'm sorry," I said, "but if he is planning on going for longer, he has to tell you that now. He can't just string you along." 

Rosie nodded firmly. "I know," she said. "I'm meeting him tomorrow and I'm giving him an ultimatum."

I nodded supportive. "Good for you."

"Thanks," she said, pulling her glossy brown hair to one side, and exhaling wearily. "You must be feeling worried too...with winter round the corner and all"

I felt a stab of anxiety. It was blatantly obvious to everybody, it seemed, that me and Llyr could not make it into the next season.

Is it just me who was in denial about this? Perhaps Rosie and Will weren't the only ones who needed to have a serious discussion about their future.