><> Chapter Eight <><

My mother was grinning at us.

One word churned around in my head, and it thudded over and over like a big soggy bundle of clothes in a washing machine. 

Crap.

I looked at Dad. He had been smiling at Mum, in anticipation of her happy news but it had now frozen. It was as though somebody had pressed Pause whilst he processed this info.

Crap.

My mother looked at both of us confused. She took off her sunglasses, as though she couldn't quite believe what she was seeing.

My mum and I had identical blue-grey eyes, and I watched her set scrutinize our faces.

If there was one thing I knew, it was that she was highly observant. She read body language like text, and she was thus able to cut straight to the point.

"So, what's wrong with SKANX then?"

Dad laughed. It was a high-pitched laugh, almost like a giggle. Was it nerves or anger? I couldn't quite tell.

"Well Sheila, if you must know... everything," he began. His voice was terse, but defiant.

"Well, like what?" she answered reasonably, lifting her shoulders and holding out her hands in a gesture of inquisition.

"They kill seals!" I chipped in nervously.

"What, like actually slaughter them?" she said with mock outrage. "SKANX is secretly a slaughterhouse pretending to be an energy firm? Well, that is a scandal."

"Yes, actually, yes!" boomed Dad, in a tone that was way too assertive for Mum's liking.

She raised her eyebrows and inspected her nails. "I see," she said, with a tone of deep disdain.

Crappety Crap.

I looked at my feet, already dreading the evening's 'celebrations' at home.

***

I reclined into my big purple cushions and tried to focus on the sound of the waves gently cascading into the garden wall below.

"You made me give up my life, and for what? To stare at the sea all day, bake us all some cup cakes?" 

I could still hear them.

A door slammed.

The door was then opened. Presumably by Dad.

"You're being completely over-the-top!" shouted Dad. "I want you to be happy here, but why do you have to work for my one and only nemesis? Its... treachery!"

I turned on my side, and gazed across the ocean at the light blue line on the horizon - the last streak of daylight. I managed to momentarily ponder how the day travelled constantly across the globe, and thought about the Aussies who would be pounding the buttons on their alarm clocks right now, as sunlight began to seep into their time zone.

"Your one and only nemesis? You're a bloody lawyer; you've got about a million enemies. This is preposterous," Mum bellowed, disrupting my meanderings.

"This is different!" Dad despaired loudly. "This is personal!"

The argument continued. Eugh,why did this have to happen? She would have to get another job... I mean, she can't stay and side with them, surely? They'll sort it out. They 're both pretty stubborn but they will sort it out

I remembered Llyr in the sea today. I had not thought of him since I hung up the phone to the police. This had to be the longest time he had been absent from my thoughts since we met. It clearly took a family crisis to strip him from my mind.

So, what the hell had he been doing out at sea - again? I searched my brain for answers but it could not produce them.

"He said that you were swimming by yourself"

Rosie's words echoed through my mind. Maybe I was going mad, after all.

I picked up my mobile and scrolled through my phone book. My finger hesitated over Rosie's name. I sighed and put the phone down. She's not going to judge me, is she?

I pressed Call.

Rosie answered immediately.

"Hey!"

"Hi Rosie, it's me"

"I know!"

We giggled for severalmoments. I loved this about our friendship. When we were both happy, we seemedto find practically everything amusing. It was like this static buzzed around us, making us erupt into giggles at the tiniest thing.

I told Rosie about my mother's latest career move.

"Oh crap!" said Rosie.

"Exactly!" I exclaimed. "Crap's the word."

I hesitated.

"Rosie..." I began.

"Yeah...?"

"Okay, this is really embarrassing, and you're never going to believe me... but..."

"What?!" cried Rosie immediately.

"I saw Llyr today."

Rosie gasped. "Oh my God - where?"

"Err, in the sea."

There was silence.

"This guy really likes to swim, right..." she began hesitantly. "Was he far out?"

"Erm, yeah you could say that. Me and Dad were halfway between Starfish and Coney... and... he just appeared."

More unbearable silence.

"Are you there?"

"Yes babe, I'm here."

"Do you believe me?" I asked worriedly, dreading her response. My only friend was going to think I was absolutely bonkers.

"I believe you Crystal."  There was a long pause and I squirmed, picking at the skin around my fingers. "Look," she said eventually, "there's something you need to know about the sea. Only Starfish Islanders really know the truth."