><> Chapter Twenty-Two <><

I caught the one o'clock boat to the mainland and walked for ten minutes along the beach towards Pearl Boulevard. As I neared, I checked my reflection in a boutique window. I wore a knee-length black skirt and a pressed white shirt. That afternoon, I had broken my four-year hiatus on ironing, and now I definitely looked the part of a classic waitress.

I took a deep breath and walked into Castello's, the same restaurant where Dad had taken us to celebrate Mum's arrival.

A waiter in a bow tie and tailed waistcoat glided towards me as I entered, his face was the absolute picture of hospitality.

"Good Afternoon Miss, are you here for lunch?" he said charmingly in an Italian accent, a thick black eyebrow raised.

I smiled and looked down. "Actually no," I said in a lowered voice. "I was looking for a job."

The waiter broke into a smile. "Ah, I see. Have you experience in silver service?"

I frowned. "Er, what?"

He laughed. "Don't worry," he said kindly. "Let me fetch the manager, Miss. You may well be in luck, some of our waitresses are leaving for the summer."

I smiled and relaxed a little. It all sounded very positive so far. I looked around the restaurant. Every table was full, and the waiters zoomed gracefully from table to table.

If they were stressed, they did not show it. I hoped I would be able to look that cool under pressure. Doubtful, you're a total Klutz, Crystal.

Suddenly a familiar leopard-skin top caught my eye, and I recoiled as I realized it was my mother.

She was leaning forward, listening intently. I knew my mother well and could see that she was genuinely absorbed in whatever conversation she was having.

My eyes darted to the object of her captivation. He was a corporate type, dressed in a crisp shirt and tie. He was vaguely handsome, but he did not appear to have any warmth to his face whatsoever.

It suddenly dawned on me who this person was. I had seen him in many newspaper articles thrust angrily under my face by Dad. It was Mr Geake, the Chief Executive of SKANX.

Ugh, so that's what Mum's doing here, listening to him like that.

 I zoned in for a moment, and my eyes focused on her facial expression. Her brow was furrowed, and she was biting a lip. It was as though she were in a deep conflict.

The light caught Mr. Geake's golden watch as he lifted his hand to signal the waiter and I watched on with disgust as he snapped his fingers.

Yuck. I wouldn't even do that to Maurice.

My guts clenched as he lowered his arm and placed his hand on my Mum's wrist. I inhaled sharply. Is that really the way you touched your colleague?

I turned and raced back to the door. I could not stay here and watch them a minute longer. I broke into a run when I got outside, abandoning the boulevard, my job search forgotten. I hoped and prayed that I had been very much mistaken by what I had just seen.

***

That evening, I got ready for my date with Llyr but instead of the excitement I felt earlier, I was plagued with worry about my family.

Why had he touched her arm like that? And why was she looking so stressed? Was it guilt? Had Mr Geake been giving her some kind of ultimatum? Leave your husband and run off with me?

I shuddered and pushed the whole thing out of my head. I couldn't just assume the worst.  Maybe they were simply having a business discussion.

I had to just forget about it, I was finally going on an actual planned date with Llyr and I could not let Mum and that stupid company ruin this for me.

After a little wardrobe debate, I decided on a long navy blue tie-dyed dress. It was a halter-neck design, and it clung to my body. I let down my hair and brushed it so that it hung in two yellow curtains around my face. Like Will, my hair was getting brighter and brighter every day!

The house was quiet, and both my parents appeared to be out so I let myself out of the door and made my way over the to the jetty.

The sun was just about to connect with the sea, and I sat on the jetty and watched its descent. It was a burning copper gold this evening and was absolutely sensational. I wished that he would hurry up and get here so we could watch it together.

After about twenty minutes, I began to get a little nervous. This is sunset right? The day after yesterday? So where was he?

As interesting as my unconventional love life was, I felt myself wishing again, that Llyr had a mobile, or at least a clock.

As the sun sank further, so did my heart and soon, I sat alone in the dark.  Maybe he wasn't coming for me after all.