><> Chapter Fifty-Two <><

I had managed to stop the bleeding by pressing my hand to his scalp, but Llyr was still dead to the world. I knew I had to stay strong for us both, but I felt so helpless. Now Llyr was injured, what hope did we really have?

I'd initially wondered if the other mers would come, but if Llyr was unconscious, then I realized that they probably wouldn't be able to find us, just like he hadn't been able to find me.

"Come on!" I begged for the hundredth time, but there was no response. It was so hard seeing him like this; weak and lifeless.

What if he never wakes up? 
Don't even go there, Crystal! You have to do something, but what?

I looked up at the sky through the battered roof. I could see little pockets of stars here and there, but they were mostly obscured by cloud. It was now well into the night, and Llyr had been out cold since dusk.

I tried for the millionth time to undo the ropes with my one hand but it truly was impossible; they were some kind of super-complex military knots. And besides, I could barely see a thing now anyway.

I slumped backwards. We're screwed.

The boat had been still for a while, and now I heard the sound of snores coming from the front. The beast is sleeping. I saw the broken shards from the bottle glinting a few meters away. Urgh, if only I could grab a piece but there's no point in even trying; it's blatantly out of my reach.

Suddenly the inside of the boat was bathed in a ghostly white light. I looked up and saw that the moon had come out from behind the clouds. I quickly seized the opportunity to check on Llyr's condition, but when I lowered my gaze I noticed something. 

Strange marks were appearing on his skin, just by his waist. I strained forward to look closer. They were like blue circular shapes and they were forming on his hip. Was on Earth-?

I gasped as the shapes suddenly became more and more pronounced, and I realized what they were starting to remind me of.

Oh, my! Not here. Not now.

He was turning.

***

"Crappety Crap!" I squeaked, as I watched on in disbelief. Llyr's legs had suddenly disappeared and the tail of fish had quite simply replaced them within a matter of seconds. It was the moment I had been putting off for a long time but it had finally arrived, and it couldn't have been at a worse time.

I extended a shaky hand towards the tail. It was a deep midnight blue colour and when I put my hand on it I realized that despite the subtle outlines of the scales, it was toned and smooth.

I shook my head in wonder. All this time I had known in my head, he was a merman, but part of mecouldn't truly believe it until now.

I was momentarily transfixed by his lower half, and I ran my hand over it as far as the ropes would allow. It was kind of beautiful and just completely extraordinary.

After a few moments, I began to regain my sense of urgency. If he was turning like this, how long does that mean he has left? I remembered his tales of the mer who had been swept inland by tidal waves, and had died, stranded without water.

I scoured the room with tired eyes. If I could just get him a splash of water, maybe it would keep him going that little bit longer. I looked around the cabin. There was a table, some chairs, a fishing rod and a few dusty old books. None of this would help.

I leaned forward and turned my head backward. What was there behind me? I couldn't see a thing, and so I resorted to groping about with my free arm.

I heard myself grunt. My arm was at a seriously awkward angle, so much so that I thought it may snap, but suddenly my hand clutched at something plastic. As I grabbed at it, I realized that it was a soft, hollow shape. My spirits lifted. Have I found something?

I managed to retrieve the object and felt a surge of victory as I realized it was a bottle of water, albeit only quarter-full. I wrenched the top off with my teeth; it was tough, as though someone had screwed it on with all their might. I eventually spat out the lid and splashed the water on Llyr's head. It washed over him and dripped onto my lap.

There was  no movement.

Well, at least, he's getting something on him, I told myself, trying not to let despair get the better of me.

I leaned back and closed my eyes. I didn't know how much longer I could take this.

***

I had drifted off when I was awakened by cold irritating splatters on my face. I grumbled, touching my face with my free hand, and opening my eyes slowly.

It was rain. I sat up, shielding my face and looking up at the sky; it was a cobalt blue. Dawn was here.

"Crystal," came a soft, hoarse voice.

My heart soared through the battered roof when I saw him. He still lay in my lap, weak but awake.

"Llyr," I cried, trying to suppress the volume of my voice. "Oh, thank God."

He remained on my lap for a while; his face was pale, and his lips dry. He frowned, his eyes searching around him for answers. I stroked the side of his face. 

 "You got hit on the head,' I said softly.

He sat up gradually, his eyes falling on the broken shards of glass. I could see he was starting to piece together the events that led to his injury. He looked down at his tail and shook his head. I knew he must be shocked; this would be the first time he had ever been vulnerable enough for this to happen.

"Where is he?" he said groggily.

"Outside, driving the boat," I explained in a hushed voice.

He nodded and reached for rope on my wrist. He lacked the strength from yesterday, but as he pulled at it, I felt it loosen.

"What are we going to do?" I asked as he worked at the rope.

"I think we should wait for Ri," he replied, his eyes fixed on the the task. His voice was heavy, and I knew that this was the last thing on Earth he wanted to do. Finding Llyr in this horrific situation would no doubt reinforce all Ri's feelings about us. "They will sense me now I have woken," he finished.

I looked up at him, my eyes moist with tears. I opened my mouth to say how sorry I was for him when I heard the sound of thumping on the deck. 

I felt the feeling of dread return tenfold as I stared towards the door, utterly horrified.

It opened slowly, and Mr. Geake staggered in. At first, he looked at us frowning sleepily before his eyes slowly widened as he registered what awaited him.

He lifted a finger slowly and pointed at Llyr. His mouth then opened as though to say something, but he was unable to choke out the words. Silence hung in the air for what felt like an eternity, he rubbed his eyes, and looked again.

Then he laughed; a loud hysterical cackle. I froze as I watched his face. His  eyes had turned from a mirror of disbelief to one of pure greed.

"Hello, retirement!" he breathed.