Fight For Me (Part 3)

Veronica's POV

My trial starts two weeks later. Somehow, I maintain straight A's. Mostly because all I can do is homework. School sucks because almost everyone believes I did it.

The first day, Heather is a witness. She's wearing black and red. Which makes me further believe that either she did it or she's happy someone did. "Miss Duke, how well do you know the defendant?" The prosecutor asks. "We used to be friends until she decided to stop hanging out with us." Heather answers, pretending to be so devastated over Heather. "And can you clarify who "us" is?" He asks. "Me, Heather, and our other ex-friend, Heather McNamara." She says. I hear Heather make a small scoff behind me. "How did Heather feel about this?" Heather looks at me. "She wasn't happy. She tried her best to win her back." This time I hear Heather and JD quietly scoff. The prosecutor continues to give her questions and her give the most BS answers.

Then Robert starts his cross-examination. "Miss Duke, would you describe Veronica Sawyer as a violent person?" He asks. "No." Duke says, knowing her answer makes me look good. "Do you believe she could hurt someone?" Robert continues. "Probably. She hated Heather enough to snap." She says over-dramatically.

Next to come up was Ms Fleming. The prosecutor didn't get anything huge against me from what she said. Robert got a lot. "Ms Fleming, what kind of person did you see Miss Sawyer as?" Robert asks. "She's a smart, kind girl. There's not a vicious bone in her body."

My testimony is the worst thing I've ever and will ever experience. "Miss Sawyer, can you describe what happened that night?" I take a deep breath and explain. I explain the same story that I told Zepeda. "Your fingerprints were found on the body. Was this from you hitting her?" He asks. "Yes, but-" He interrupts me. "That'll be all."

When Robert steps up, I pray to God that he can save me. "Miss Sawyer, you told us that you did hit her back. Correct?" He asks. What the actual hell? Are you not supposed to back me up? "Yes." I nod. "So the fingerprints were from this. Therefore your DNA found on her makes sense."

Then the prosecutor decides to come up again. "So you said you did push her. And though we know pushing her couldn't have killed her. But. We wouldn't be able to get fingerprints from you beating her, if you did so with your knuckles." I'm. Screwed.

Next in the trial, my incredible boyfriend. Unfortunately, the prosecutor screws me and him over. He asks all these questions about my feelings about Heather, which JD can't tell him I loved Heather. Because I didn't. This prosecutor makes his promise to fight for me absolutely impossible.

Then freaking Zepeda comes in to further hurt my chances. He makes Robert look completely incompetent. After that day, I scream very loudly into a pillow.

Finally a forensic guy shows up to talk about DNA and whatnot. And I know I'm going to spend the rest of my life in prison.

Finally, it's time for the verdict. I try my best not to bang my head on the table while we wait for the juror to come back. After what feels like a freaking eternity, they come back. I look behind me and Heather is holding on to JD's arm for dear life. JD looks like he's going to pass out. From Heather's grip and from nerves.

The juror steps forward. "We, the jury, find the defendant, Veronica Sawyer, to be guilty of the second degree murder of Heather Chandler." The crowd goes crazy. I start crying. JD and Heather look crushed. The judge bangs his gavel to get attention. "Veronica Sawyer, you are hear-by sentenced to twenty years in prison with the possibility of parol after ten years." The judge bangs his gavel again. "Miss Sawyer, you seemed like a bright young lady and I'm very sorry that this is the path in life that you chose. I understand the circumstances but unfortunately, you do have to suffer the consequences." He tells me.

Robert hugs me and apologizes before I'm handcuffed. When I'm led to the car, JD tries to reach out. The news cameras are outside. Robert shields me from them. I silently cry the whole way to the prison. I also cry myself to sleep that night.

To think that all I wanted to do was rid myself of Heather Chandler. And when that finally happens, that's what ruins my life. The way life works is absolutely horrible.