Fight For Me (Part 2)

Veronica's POV

School for the rest of the week was very chaotic. News people were coming in every period, interviewing students about Heather. Heather got really nervous after her interview. She felt like she would look guilty for admitting to disliking her. I told her she would be fine.

Friday night, JD, Jill and I are eating dinner when there's a knock at the door. "I'll get it." JD gets up to open the door. I hear the door open. "Hello?" JD says, confusion clear in his voice. "Hi, is Veronica Sawyer here?" The person asks. I recognize the voice as Detective Zepeda. I stand up and walk into the living room. He saw me and him and the other officer approach me. "Turn around." The other guy tells me. "What?" He forcibly turns me around. "Veronica Sawyer, you're under arrest for the murder of Heather Chandler. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law." I look at JD who's looking at Jill. "What? I didn't do this!" He ignored me and continues talking. I'm brought outside to the police car. In the distance, I see Duke in the distance, smiling.

JD's POV

I had followed them outside but once they drive off, I come back inside. I pick up the phone and call Heather. "Hello?" She answers. "Heather, Veronica got arrested." I start. "What? Why?" Heather's panic is evident. "For Heather's murder. Listen, I need to talk to Robert. I'll call you later." I hang up and dial Robert's number. "Hello, this is Robert Marcus." He answers. "Robert, it's me. Can you meet me at the police department?" I ask. "Why?" He sounds suspicious of what's happening. "Veronica's been arrested for murder. But I know she didn't do it." I explain. "Oh my... I'll be right there."

Veronica's POV

I sit in the interrogation room. Zepeda stands on the other side of the table. He puts down a picture that looks to be from a security camera, which my parents have. It shows me with Heather that night. We're clearly fighting. "Is that you?" He asks. "Yes." I bite my lip. "And who is that?" He points at Heather. "Heather." I look away.

He turns to a tv and presses play. The video shows us clearly arguing. Then Heather pushes me. I look angry and push her back. Heather then slaps me. It hurts to watch. I slap back. And walk away, out of frame, her following. Zepeda pauses. "So this video clearly shows you and the victim verbally and physically fighting. Do you deny that?" He asks. "No. I don't." I say. The door opens suddenly and Robert walks in. "Who are you?" Zepeda asks him. "Robert Marcus. Miss Sawyer's attorney." Robert tells him. "Alright then."

Robert sat beside me. "As I was saying. Could you explain the events of that night?" Zepeda asks. I sigh. "I went to return the necklace I told you about, and then Heather was there. She yelled at me and pushed and hit me, so I hit and pushed her back. But she tried to keep going so I started to walk away and she followed. She pushed me to the ground so I pushed her back and ran home." I explain. "Well Veronica, I don't believe you. And I will find out the truth." He leans in. "I would appreciate if you didn't speak to my client like that." Robert warns. "I'm done. Take her to booking." Zepeda tells the officer.

He takes me and I'm led to a car outside. Robert is telling me things to make me feel better the whole way there. "Jason and I are going to do everything we can to get you out." He says before I'm put in the car.

The first night was horrible. People were yelling things at me as I walked to my cell. One yelled: "Looks like we got a little one!" I obviously couldn't sleep. All I think about is JD and the look he had when I was arrested.

The next day, JD and Robert visit me. I hug Robert and then JD, JD's hug is a bit longer. "That's enough." The guard warns. I roll my eyes and sit down. "So I was told that your bail hearing will be Tuesday." Robert tells me. "What about the trial?" I ask. "They're still in the process of deciding that." He says. I nod. "How's your mom?" I look at JD. "She's still in shock. News cameras showed up last night. We didn't want to say anything." He can't seem to look at me. "But she also doesn't believe you killed Heather." He adds. "You don't, right?" I'm trying not to break down while here. "Veronica, come on."

Tuesday comes and I'm granted bail. Unfortunately JD and Jill can't pay for it. Luckily, my dad pays. I'm allowed to go to school. More like forced. I really didn't want to. "I hate this." I say the morning of my first day back. "It'll be fine." He assures me. "Says the guy who isn't being tried for murder." I sigh. At school is staring at me. I get inside as quickly as possible. Heather runs up and hugs me without saying anything. "I'm so glad you're okay." She says, still squeezing me. "I was going to visit. But my dad said I shouldn't and to wait until you were granted bail." She lets go. People were giving her dirty looks, probably because she just hugged a "killer." The bell rings and I groan. Heather hugs me again before leaving for class. JD walks me to the door and kisses my forehead. I go for the back and keep my head down. Peter leans over. "Hey." He whispers. I put my head up. "You're talking to me?" I'm shocked. "Yeah. You didn't do this." He says. He gets closer to me. "If I'm being honest, I think Heather Duke did it." He tells me. I hadn't even thought of that. I had originally thought it was some gross older man.

Duke comes and freezes when she sees me. She glares at me before sitting down. I put my head back down on the desk.

At lunch, everyone acts like I have an infectious disease and avoids eye and physical contact with me. I get my lunch and sit in the back with JD and Heather. Martha comes up and hugs me, before going to the library, as she always does. Ram and Kurt are idiots as usual. They yell stupid things at me about the murder.

I'm brought home and start my homework. JD sits beside me. "Hey." I say, looking at my work. "You're going to be fine." He tells me. "I know. You said you'll fight for me and I believe you." I smirk. "I will. I promise." He pecks my cheek and stands up.