Please Don't Leave Me Alone

JD's POV

I wasn't really going to leave. I just needed to cool off a little. I sat in the waiting room for a couple minutes before I heard commotion in the hallway. "Dr Jacobs to room 120." Says a nurse over the intercom, panic could be heard in her voice. Room 120? I shoot out of my seat and run to Veronica's room. Nurses were hooking her up to IVs and other machines. "What happened?" I ask. "She injected herself with that needle." She says, motioning to the empty syringe that sat on the counter. "What? She wouldn't do that." I didn't believe that Veronica would try to kill herself. "Well she did." She shoots back. I was completely at a loss of words. I couldn't help but feel that this was my fault. Why did I leave? If I hadn't left she wouldn't have done that.

"Is she okay?" I ask. "She's not dead." I hope she wasn't trying to make me feel better, because if so she sucks at that. "I'm here. Sorry, I had to go to my car." Dr Jacobs comes in. "What happened?" He saw my face of distress. "The patient injected pentobarbital into her system." Another nurse says. "Pentobarbital?" I ask. "Yes, but she didn't take enough to kill her instantly." The one nurse said. "Do you mind coming with me?" Dr Jacobs asks me. I nod my head.

He takes me to what I can only assume is his office. "Close the door behind you." He tells me. I do as he says, then sit in front of his desk. "Mr..." He tries to think of my name. "JD." I remind him. "JD... has your girlfriend shown any signs of depression?" He asks. "No." I say. She seemed pretty happy these last few months. "Do you know why she would do this?" He asks. "Um... we kind of got in a fight before she injected herself." I admit. "And..." He pushes. "And I left because she told me to." I say. "So would you say this could partly be about the bullying?" He straightens his back. "Probably." I shrug.

After he lets me leave, I go back into Veronica's room. I kneel beside her bed. Then I start to cry. I don't know why, but I did. The doctor told me the sodium thiopental put her into a coma. "Jason?" My mom says from outside. She walks in. "Oh my God, what happened?" She asks, running to my side. "S-she injected herself with pentobarbital." I say through sniffles. "Oh honey, I'm so sorry." She hugs me. "I'm gonna go home, you wanna come?" She asks as she stands up. I shake my head.

After she leaves, I decide to go get some food. On the way there, I overhear Dr Jacobs talking to a collegue. "So how's your patient in room 120?" The other doctor asks. "She's in a coma." Jacobs says. "Is she okay?" The other asks. "No. To be completely honest, I don't think she'll make it." Jacobs tries to say it quietly, just in case others were around. I dart passed the door, angry that her own doctor doesn't think she'll pull through. He must have noticed me because he was now trying to get catch up to me. "JD, wait!" I finally stop. "I'm sorry you heard that. I didn't realize you were there." He says. "It's not that I heard it, it's that you said it." I say, tears in my eyes. "I-" He starts. "No! If you said that because you thought I wasn't around. You were planning on telling me that you did think she'd pull through. You're a liar." With that, I storm down the hall. "JD!" He calls.

After eating, I decided to take a bus home. I stayed in my room all night. My mom probably thought it was best not to bother me. The next morning, I chose to go to school. "Baby, you really don't have to." My mom says. "I need something to take my mind off." I tell her, grabbing my bag. "Okay." She kisses my forehead.

When I arrive at school, no one was looking at me. I walk to class hoping nobody bothers me. "Hey." I hear a voice say. I turn to see Martha. "Hi." I say. "How's Veronica? I heard she was in the hospital." She sits next to me. "She's uh, in a coma." I look down. "It's that bad?" She asks. "Yep." I say, holding back the tears. "I might stop by later, are you gonna be there?" She asks. "I don't know." I shrug. "If you wanna talk about it, I'm here." She says. "I'm fine." I tell her. "Okay, just mak-" Before she could finish, Kurt steps in. "Wow. Looks like you both are cheaters. But at least Veronica did it with us. You're stooping so much lower with Dumptruck." He laughs. I flip him off and give Martha a soft smile.