Things Will Get Better

February 13th, 1990

Veronica's POV

"Hey Mom?" I walk into my mom's room as she packs. "Yes?" She asks, mainly focusing on packing. "I was wondering if this weekend I could stay home." I mess with my hands. "Why?" Oh God, keep cool Veronica, don't let her know you're lying. "Henry was gonna come over." I lie. "Oh. Okay sure." She finally turns towards me. "Cool." I smile. In reality, JD was coming over once they leave. "I see you finally got over JT." She smiles. I don't bother correcting her. "Yep!" I say.

My parents get packed and take their bags downstairs. "Bye honey." My dad kisses my forehead. "Bye." My mom smiles and goes to the car, my dad not far behind. I wave through the window as they drive down the road. "Knock knock." JD says behind me. He had climbed through the living room window. "Hey." I smile. "Hey." He kisses me. I pull away, smiling, when I notice something different. "Did you cut your hair?" I run my hand through his newly cut hair. "Yeah. I didn't think it was that noticable." He laughs. "Well it is." I say. It was stupid, but I felt bad. I didn't even know he had cut his hair. Heather probably knew. Sure it's not my fault, but I still felt bad. "It's cute." I say.

We walk upstairs. "Are you okay?" He asks. "Yeah, why wouldn't I be?" I avoid his face. "Ronnie." He reaches for my hand. "Fine. I just... I feel bad for not knowing all this stuff. I know a haircut is a stupid thing to get upset about." He squeezes my hand. "It's okay. It's not your fault your mom is doing this. But you'll be away from her soon." He moves hair out of my face. I kiss him. "What was that for?" He laughs. "I just... I really love you." I smile. He smiles too and kisses me back. We were interrupted by the sound of a mail truck. I went to the window and saw a big envelope. "Oh my God." I take a breath. "What?" JD gets up. "It's here!" I rush downstairs and get the mail.

JD's POV

Veronica came in with a big envelope that read Harvard. "Oh my God." I say. "You open it." She pushes it towards me. "Why?" She frowns. "I'm too nervous." I laugh and take the envelope. I tear the seal and open the letter. I stayed silent as I saw the first sentence.

Veronica's POV

He was being too quiet. "What? What does it say?" I ask nervously. "'Dear Ms. Sawyer, thank you for your interest in Harvard College." He reads. "'After careful consideration of your applications, I am happy to offer you admission into the class of 1994." My eyes went wide. "I got in? Oh my God I got in!" I jump into his arms. "Wait. I have another surprise for you." He sets me down and pulls a letter out of his coat. I took it and read it:

Dear Mr Dean,

Thank you for your interest in Harvard College.

After careful consideration of your applications, I am happy to offer you admission into the class of 1994.

"You applied to Harvard?" I ask, reading the letter. "I did." He smiles. "You didn't do it because of me, right?" I ask. "That's one reason. But also because I wanted to go to law school." He says. "Really?" I put the letter down to look at him. "Yeah, Robert's a good man. I want to be like him and help people who were wronged. And... people like me." He explains. "That's amazing." I smile. "C'mere." He pulls me into him and held me. "I can't wait to get out of Sherwood." I say into his shoulder. "Me too." He hugs me tighter.

I let go. "I'm really happy I met you." I smile. "Same here." He says. "I also can't wait to be 18 so I can leave this place." I say. "Hey, things will get better." He assures me. "I know." I smile weakly. "You have only a month." He reminds me.

"I'm glad you get to stay here this weekend." I grab his hands. "Me too." He kisses my nose. "So does your mom know about this?" I ask. "Yeah. I told her the first time we met in secret." He says. "Good." I say. "She loves you." JD says. "Does she?" I smile. "Absolutely. She asked me what song we should dance to at our wedding." He chuckles. "Wow. That sounds like approval to me." I say. "It sure does." JD kisses me. "I love you." I tell him. "Same here." He says.

We stood in a silence for a minute. "Um... do you want something to eat?" I ask, walking into the kitchen."No, I'm fine." He follows me. "Okay." I sit on the counter. "God, this is awkward." I sigh. "Yeah," He agrees. "If it weren't for my mom, we could be out doing what normal teenage couples do." I pout. "I thought we established that we aren't a normal teenage couple." JD jokingly raised an eyebrow. "Well we could be doing our own normal. Which definitely isn't this." I say.

"True." JD walks over to where I was sitting. "Let me tell you, Henry is so annoying. All he wants to talk about is himself and football." I tell him. "Figures." He says. "I don't know why anyone thinks I'd choose him over you." I put my forehead against his. "At least I don't." He leans forward to kiss me then goes back to how he was before. "And..." He starts. "And that's all the matters..." I finish, playfully rolling my eyes. "Correct." He smiles.

I was about to kiss him, but there was a knock on the door. "What the...?" I hopped off the counter. "Nobody should be here but you and me." I say. "Then who is it?" JD asks, following behind me. I look through the door view and jumped back with such force, I almost knocked JD to the ground. "What?" He steadies himself. "It's Henry." I respond. "Crap!" He said in a more hushed tone than I used. "Hide in the kitchen!" I said, trying to be quieter than I had been. He just nods and rushes into the kitchen.

I fix myself before opening the door. "Hi... babe." I say, grossed out in my head over the "babe" part. "Oh, I like that." He said, giving me that really cocky smile. "So what brings you here?" I ask. "Just wanted to see my lovely lady." He smiled again before pecking me on the lips. I hated it but I let him. "So I had an idea." He said, walking past me. I try to stop him as he headed to the kitchen. "Why are you going into my kitchen?" I asked, trying to stay calm. "Just thought we could maybe eat some lunch together. I know you'd love that." He explained in a fake "cute" voice. "Oh." I say, acting like it makes sense that he came into my kitchen and eat my food when I didn't tell him he actually could. God, this guy is such a jerk! "So let's see..." He said, scanning the kitchen for God knows what. Knowing his type, he was probably searching for my parents' booze.

There was a small sound that came from my pantry. Crap! I thought. As cute as JD was, the guy sucked at being quiet. "The hell?" Henry walked over to it. "Probably rats! We occasionally get them!" I say loudly. Hoping he'd leave if I scared him. "Loud much?" He laughed before looking back at the pantry. I roll my eyes once he isn't looking. "Okay, I'm gonna kill your rats." He said as if he was "my hero" or some BS like that. "You don't have to-" It was too late. He opened it and JD's eyes went wide and put the broom in front of his face. Henry stood there, surprised and possibly a little angry.

And... that's it! Here's a cliffhanger for y'all.