Chapter 6 - "Wonderer"

*NOTE: Unedited

As I stumble down the hall through darkness, I see a faint glow coming from a door up ahead.  Link had already gone to bed, while I continued drying the dishes. Of course, being incredibly tired and practically hallucinating, I turned all the lights off without thinking how I was going to get to my room. Genius, Eve. I slowly crept down the hall, and pushed open the door gently. The light immediately gushed out of the room and stung my eyes. I walk into the doorway, rubbing my eyes, trying to adjust. Before I even get a foot in, I hear a deep husky voice in front of me. Oh no. No, please. It can’t be… I open my eyes, trying to make sense of what was in front of me. Or who was in front of me. A shirtless, bare Ethan sat before me on his plain sheeted bed, with a confused expression on his face.

“What are you doing in here?” His expression deepened, furrowing his eyebrows together in confusion. God I loved it when he did that. He looked like a lost puppy, so innocent and adorable. I could totally just squeeze his cheeks right now…

“S-S-Sorry... I - um... I lost – I got- I – I - Uhhhhh….” I looked down at the knife he was sharpening in his hand, gulping nervously.

“You what?” Ethan peers up at me, then down at where I am staring, the tensely gripped knife in his balled up fist. “Oh, sorry.”

He quickly drops the knife onto his bed, softening his expression.

“I-It’s okay. I um – I just got lost on the way to my room… Sorry…”

“No, no… It’s fine.  Here, you must be freezing.” He stands up, wondering over to his closet, grabbing out a grey sweater then handing it to me.

Wrapping the slightly scrunched yet warm sweater around my shoulders, I look up at Ethan. He was watching me, somewhat curiously. “What?” I smile, clutching the sweater closer to my body.

“Nothing …” He quickly turns away, sitting back down on his bed.

“Ethan...”

“Yeah?”

“Before – when we were washing up… You just stormed off… Are you mad at me or something?”

Ethan sighs, staring down at the floor intently. Something tinged inside of me to go over and hold my hand in his. But I didn’t. I stood firmly, and watched as he stood up and walked over to me.

“Do you trust me?” His golden eyes fix onto mine, but I quickly look away, afraid of what I’ll say. “Eve?” He gently guides my chin up, once again returning to his gaze.

“Yes. I – I do.” I sputter, not looking away from his gleaming eyes.

“Well trust me when I say, you aren’t ready to learn my past. The reasons I suddenly have a mood change. You don’t want to know that side of me, just yet.”

As he turns away, walking over to his bed, I manage to choke out a question that’s been pondering my thoughts for a while.

“D-Do you think I’m some sort of… monster?” I move towards him, nervously playing with the hem of my dress.

“No way, I kill monsters.” Ethan smirks, but quickly stops when he looks at my face. “Kidding.”

I shift my position, feeling naïve for thinking he was really going to do something. I look away from his face, silently hating myself for never being able to understand sarcasm.

“Eve… You know I wouldn’t hurt you right?” He gets up, slowly approaching me with a concerned expression on his face.

I nod slowly, not even sure if I believe that myself.  Ethan pulls me close to him, gently wrapping his arms around me. I place my head against his chest, letting my guard down slightly. It was strange, because being with him just felt… Right. Like our bodies were meant to fit together. Like the universe just stopped when he touched me. I know this is slightly creepy, but his scent was incredible. Crisp and fresh… Like fresh rain. I craved more of it.