Chapter 19 - "Deathly Dreams"

"Eve! Holy –

"Dude is she okay?"

"Oh my god..."

"What the hell just happened?"

"Guys we have to go!"

Shouts erupted from all around me, an instant pain shooting up my right leg. I look up to see most of the crew surrounding me, while some of the others held the Corrupted back or were running to the van.

"Someone grab her arm, we need to go now." Fallon shouts, trying to wrestle off several Corrupted.

I look up warily to see Flynn and Zoe hooking their arms around each side of me, pulling my body upwards. We ran behind the others, making the best attempt we could to catch up.

"What was that, Eve?!" Flynn says, panting alongside me, his arms lifting me up slightly.

"They were already on the rooftop, what did you expect me to do?!" I shout back, wincing as the pain continued to course throughout my right leg.

"Stop fighting, let's just get to the van!" Zoe shouts above the gunshots and groans, panting heavily.

Both of us go silent, Flynn occasionally having to point his gun up and shoot.

A scream erupts from ahead, attracting our attention. Flynn hurries up the pace, almost sprinting towards the screams. We finally reach the source, finding Dax lying on the ground, a gash in his chest and a Corrupted pinning him down.

"DAX!" Zoe screams, dropping my arm and sprinting over to him, everyone but Flynn and I joining her. Dex gets to him first, however, pulling the Corrupted off of him and tackling it to the ground. They roll around for a few seconds, before Dex pulls out a dagger, stabbing the Corrupted multiple times.

We watch in awe as Dex leaves the dagger plunged into the dead Corrupted, then runs over to Dax where he crumbles to the ground. As if snapping as out of a trance, Dex begins to sob, holding Dax's body. We rush towards them both, as Dax looks over at Dex, his eyes drooping.

Flynn holds onto me tightly, guiding me over to the van, avoiding the scene. I turn around, struggling to see a grief stricken Dex be pulled off Dax, his body turning pale. Jason and Zoe carry Dax back to the van, whilst Annie comforts Dex and Fallon holds off the Corrupted.

We make it to the van, Flynn practically shoving me inside as I stumble up the steps, instantly dropping my bag of supplies and leaving it to the side. Flynn doesn't speak a word to me, just runs to the front of the van and starts up the ignition.

Dax was then quickly brought inside, with Dex and the others following closely behind. I seemed to freeze in my place, watching as Dax grew paler by the minute, blood soaking his shirt and down onto the seats.

Flynn starts off the van as we all sit in silence, speeding down the road and out of the horrific scene.

Annie and Jason worked quickly as a team, handing random pieces of cloth or utensils to each other, murmuring things under their breath.

"You. This is your fault." A shout erupts from the back of the van, my attention focusing over to Fallon, who was storming over to me.

I remain frozen as she walks aggressively to me, looking as if she may rip my head off.

"Fallon!" Zoe jumps up, covered in Dax's blood, holding Fallon back who was now metres away from me.

"No! It's her fault we're in this mess. Ever since we picked her up only bad things have happened! And now look – look at what she's done to him!" Fallon shouts, Zoe now having to forcibly stand in front of her to keep her from attacking. I step away in fear, overwhelmed with the situation.