6 (part 2)

"Go for what? We're not robbing him." Claire's lips were twitching in pure irritation now.

"That's not what I meant-" Connor shook his head. "We can go, talk to him, sort it out, and get Hailey out of this mess."

Claire didn't get it. What was the purpose of this talk? And to end it with the biggest question lurking around in her mind, is why was this considered as a mess?

"Why don't you elaborate?" Adam clicked his tongue and folded his arms in dismay.

Healy gulped visibly, as if there was something she had been waiting to tell, but just didn't have a good second to blurt it out. So when she opened her mouth, it immediately closed, feeling all the eyes on her.

"Hailey." Connor bit his lips. "You didn't tell them."

"I didn't."

The air didn't feel right, and something about the way the two riches were clenching and unclenching their teeth, only made Claire tilt her head in amusement.

She guessed it already. There wasn't a lot to hide.

"I love Hailey." Connor spoke, not breaking his eye contact with Hailey, his gaze boring into her's. "And I will stop the world for her."

"You don't have to do that." Claire said without a care, receiving an elbow nudge from Adam, who slightly snorted.

"I'm h-happy for you." He said, trying not to break into fits of laughter. "I was waiting, been waiting for years now."

What was funny? Claire didn't see anything so laughable about Connor and Hailey being together. Adam was being just ridiculous. Of course they can be trolled upon, but the way they glared at him just sent her wrong vibes all over.

She shushed Adam so he bit his lips.

"Was this supposed to be a secret?" Claire asked.

"Why yes, it was!" Hailey wore a frown.

"Sorry, we just figured this out on our own."

"H-how?"

"You can ask anyone from our school, if you wanna know. Everyone just.. knew."

Connor cleared his throat, shooting a look at Claire. "We've got matters to discuss about."

"Like?" She raised her eyebrows, still looking just as ever intimidating as she was back in high school. Connor wouldn't admit it, but he definitely felt those chills down his neck.

"There are a few things I'd like to let you know."

"Go ahead."

"Brady Clark now owns a lot more than he used to. His profits have increased in an alarming rate. You would have read about it, yeah?"

Claire scratched the bridge of her nose, "uh, no?"

"Amazing." Connor sighed. "Brady Clark is on business trip and won't return until a month. We have the right amount of the days to convince Lucas to drop this entire game. I won't let it happen."

"What game? What are you talking about?" Claire squinted her eyes. She didn't see where he was getting to.

"The wedding. It's not happening."