Fast, Furious, and... On the Run? [Chapter 10]

10.

All I could remember was the pounding of my head, the flashes of hot and cold, and seeing bright white. I thought the bright white part was unusual, I mean, shouldn't you be seeing black while you unconscious? Not white? Guess the world may never know. I laughed to myself as that reminded me of those tootsie-pop commercials... All of a sudden, I realized that I was in the middle of a field.

It was in the middle of the forest, surrounded by trees. I felt like I was in a sea of green. Green leaves, green grass and everything else. Of course there were the other colors you see in places like this. Like on the millions of flowers and on the trees. It was truly a beautiful place.

Off to my right I heard the unmistakable sound of water gurgling. When I turned to face the noise I was met with small river type stream that was cutting through the field. I even saw a school of colorful fish swim by. Wow, I couldn't even begin to think of words to describe how beautiful this place was. Beautiful didn't even cut it.

I didn't know how I got to this magical place, but at this point it didn't really matter. I was just happy that whatever brought me here, did. I sighed a happy sigh as I fell to my back and started to soak up the sun, letting the warm rays hit me.

I don't know how long I was there, but it must have been enough for me to doze off because the next thing I knew was that the sun was setting. If I thought this place was beautiful before, it was even more so now. With the different colors coming from the sun setting, the field looked just amazing.

At this point I really wished I had the skill to paint and some paint supplies. This would be the best painting ever.

Just then, I realized that I didn't know where I was nor did I know where I was going to spend the night. Just because this place looked amazing during the day, who knew what lurked in the woods at night?

After I decided I did not want to stick around to find out, I got up onto my feet and started to look around for any sign that could indicate how to get out of this field. At that moment, I noticed smoke coming from somewhere in front of me over the tree tops.

I debated for a minute, I was assuming that the source of the smoke was a fire, but who knew who had started the fire. For all I know it could be some camp site for a Jason or Freddie type character.

Off in the distance I heard a howl that belonged to a wolf and after I weighed my options, I decided I would have a better chance of surviving with a serial killer. Maybe if I was lucky, the wolf would eat the serial killer for me, and it would be too full and leave me alone.

A girl could only wish.

Silently I took off towards the direction of where I had seen the smoke. Because I was now under the tree tops I could not see the smoke, so I had to hope that I was heading in the right direction.

Behind me, the sun was setting further and further every minute, causing it to get darker as it does when the sun sets. I started to pick up my pace, trying to find the source of the smoke before it could get completely dark.

Sure enough, ten minutes later it was getting harder to see, but off in the distance I could see the lights of a cabin. There was smoke coming out of the chimney. It was a cute house, but who would live in the middle of the forest I asked myself confused.

Maybe I should stop asking myself questions, especially the ones I don't know the answer to...

Slowly I made my way up to the front door of this cabin hoping it was not a serial killer who lived inside. As I was walking up the stairs of the porch way, one of the stairs made a creak. I cursed the step as a dog from the inside started barking.