Fast, Furious, and... On the Run? [Chapter 4]

[Chapter 4]

I sped down the back roads. I needed to get home, and fast. On the way, I saw an ambulance zoom past in the direction that we had just came from. I could only hope Steve would be alright. I do not know what I would do without him.

After what seemed like forever, I could see my apartment building. Skidding to a stop, I jumped out of my car, running up to the door. As I was running I was flipping through my keys, trying to find the one that would let me in.

Just as I made it to the main door, I had the first key in my hand and I pushed in into the lock. I was surprised that the lock did not break with the amount of force I was using, trying to be fast.

I heard the click, telling me that the door was unlocked, and I pushed it open. I continued to run towards the stairs, vaguely aware of Dean behind me.

Running up the stairs as fast as I could, didn't feel nearly fast enough. It felt like I was running through quick sand. But I was concentrating on pushing myself. If they did what they did to Steve, I could only imagine what they had planned for my dad.

And it was not something I wanted to imagine.

I sprinted into the door that led to my apartment and pulled it open with as much force as I could.

Which almost ended up hitting my dad.

He was alright. I let out a breath that I hadn't realized that I had been holding. He was standing their working on tying his tie, getting ready to leave for work.

I ran up to him, hugging him as hard as I possibly could, "Dad. You're alright." I could feel tears starting to invade my vision.

"Of course I'm alright. Why wouldn't I be?" He gave me an odd look, "Don't think acting all lovey to me is going to get you out of trouble. Why aren't you in school?"

"I went out to my car, someone smashed it and left me a letter telling me to get out of town while I could. And then there were pictures. Of you and Steve. And there were red 'x's through them. And when I went to find Steve someone had dropped one of the cars on him and he's at the hospital now. And I was so worried about you." I don't know if he understood anything I said with all the tears and how fast I was speaking, but it didn't matter.

He pushed me away so he could look me in the eye, "Wait, what? Are you okay? Why would someone do that?" He must have understood me because all I could see across his face was pure worry.

I didn't have a chance to answer though.

I opened my mouth to speak, but just as I was going to, I heard the shattering of glass, and all of a sudden my father was at my feet. Blood spurting from his backside.

I screamed and I screamed loud.

I fell to my knees, tears pouring out of my eyes even more. I have not crying this much since I could remember, and I had no idea where they were coming from. But it didn't matter. Someone just shot him.

Dean came running into the room and spotted me on the floor with my dad. I'm not sure of the event that happened next, but I figured that he called 911 while I lay with my dad, just repeating his name, asking him to be okay, and that I was so sorry.

I was vaguely aware when someone pulled me away from him. I fought, I couldn't be taken away! Didn't they understand? He needed me. I continued to pound on their chest as hard as I could while they tried to calm me down.

Someone how, I was now sitting in my car, but in the front passenger seat. Dean was driving. "Where are we going?" I whispered so quiet I could barely hear myself.