Luna (prologue)

-2050-

-2050-

Pandemonium. It was a word that I had never truly understood — not until today. The world was in utter chaos. The scene outside my window was beyond words; it was pandemonium. Could I even step foot out of the house without putting my daughter in danger?

Today is Exodus.

The world has planned a mass exodus of over 100 ships that will meet in orbit above the earth. They will join the international space station and travel until they find another sustainable planet to live on.

Luna pulled my hand tightly holding her teddybear reminding me it was time "Mummy, we have to go. Daddy says its time" I stepped away from my living room window and walked into the hallway where Roger stood dressed to the nines.

"Are you ready dear? do you have the bags?" I smiled nervously pointing at the two large suitcases on wheels that contained our entire life. He pulled me towards him and held my face in his hands.

"I know you're scared Ellie, I know we have no idea what we are walking into. But we can't stay here. It's a death sentence, living in space is the only hope we have. I love you both so much" He kissed me then kissed Luna and took her hand and one of the suitcases "Ready?"

I nodded and held the other case as I slowly walked towards the front door, towards our future.

As the door opened to the street which crawled with humans rushing, shouting and fighting. Even on the most important day of human history, they couldn't be considerate or compassionate towards each other. They only cared about saving their selves.

Humanity had become something grotesque, unrecognisable. What they had done to this beautiful planet was unforgivable, did we even deserve a second chance on another planet?

I quickened my pace to keep up with Roger, he walked in front of me looking behind every few seconds to make sure I was there. People brushed and shoved me as I walked past, it felt like I couldn't breathe. The air was thick with fog and difficult to breathe anyway, but being lost amongst a sea of humans was unbearable.

There was no transport tody. the roads were closed. Only the sky train was working to transport all of London to the main ship. The station was 2 miles from our house, we had to make it two miles then we would be on our way.

Anxiety grew as we reached the larger street, the one that leads to the station. More bodies joined the already fast-flowing river of humans. My eyes could memorise every little item of clothing that Roger and Luna wore as I walked behind them. Luna looked petrified, her eyes red as she was pushed from every angle. I was terrified so I would hate to even think what was running through her mind. My heart raced and my body felt numb, I just wanted this all to be over.

I could hardly breathe as the bodies closed in on me, tighter the volume becoming painful. I could see the large station sign lit up ahead. This was the human river that cued into it, fighting and pushing to be ahead of each other. People shouted at each other and hit out punching and kicking it was like nothing I had seen before.

A loud gunshot rippled through the air and down the streets echoing in my ears. Then another and another. I wasnt sure how many different people were shooting but I could hear by the deafening sound that it was close.

People were screaming for their lives, leaving the cue and trying to find cover. I was paralysed with fear as I stared at the man only inches away from me. He held an old handgun and swung it around at the bodies behind him shouting. His skin was wet as he cried and shouted with frustration.

Roger pushed luna backwards to me trying to signal that I should take her and run. But I couldn't move, the fear that burned up inside me like a boiling kettle ready to whistle made me freeze. The more I thought about running, the more I couldn't. Something felt wrong. I couldn't breathe, it was like my chest had just stopped working.

I was broken.

I took one look down at Luna who's tears wet my hand and that was the ignition I needed. I quickly let the case go and ran to the left of me. I ran for an old shop doorway and crouched down with Luna quickly still able to see Roger. My body trembled as I hugged Luna tight cradling her in my arms.

The man shot his rifle again and the screams continued.

Roger was gone.

Lost in the crowd of people that pushed him towards the station. Luna and I were now blocked by the man that held his gun stopping people from getting past him. She sobbed into my jacket as I held her tightly kissing her head. "Its ok baby, I'm here with you" I held my breath as I felt the warmth soaking my jumper from my abdomen. I didn't feel any pain, only numbness.

I had to be strong for her.

"Mummy your bleeding" Luna's voice was the only thing I could hear in all the pandemonium. Luna's voice was the only thing that mattered.

"Baby you are going to have to run for it your self and find Daddy. Mummy won't make it, see! I will be too slow" I lifted my jacket to show her the blood, I didn't want to scare her any more than she was already but I had to make her leave me. It was the only chance she had. I knew I didn't have long by the amount of blood that puddled around my waist.

"You need to go, baby, run and don't look back. He won't shoot a child. Please, Luna, GO!" I pushed her as I sobbed loudly trying my hardest with every bit of strength in my body. I think I knew deep down she wouldn't leave me no matter how hard I tried. She held me tightly as she sobbed and kissed my face over and over again, crying.

The world around me didn't seem so scary anymore but I felt peace as Luna's soft cheek lay against mine. My breath was ragged and shallow as I pressed Luna's hand. I could feel my energy leaving my body. My body was now numb I could feel nothing, it made saying goodbye a little easier. With my last shaky breath, I looked into Luna's eyes and smiled.

"I love you Luna baby, And remember Mummy will always be with you when you look up to the moon"

 Luna ran as fast as she could across the lifeless desert, trying her hardest not to breathe in the polluted poisonous air

Luna ran as fast as she could across the lifeless desert, trying her hardest not to breathe in the polluted poisonous air. Her chest heaved as she made it into the airlock falling onto her knees as she coughed and spluttered.

She knew deep down in the pit of her stomach there was no one left here on Earth but she had to try, every day without fail.

She had been left behind in the evacuation (Exodus) ten years ago now because Earth was no longer the bright shining orb, it used to be. Now it was toxic and deadly.