Chapter 13: Can't be Bothered

N.B Real abi, I lobe you!! :D I just needed a naame :P xxx

Abi was starting to be a very annoying person, and I couldn't get rid of her. She was constantly ringing to apologise. She had explained that she had changed her number so I couldn't contact her, but  I had bigger worries.

Such as, who had beaten up my son and daughter? Hmm.

I hummed and danced a little (it took my mind off things) while I was making a stir fry - easy peasy stuff, that tasted good. Although, I had made a bit much. I wasn't used to the proportions, as normally I would have made it for three. I guessed Daniel and I would just have to eat a little more than usual.

He plodded down the stairs and into the kitchen, where he gave me a hug around the waist. I smiled and leaned into him.

"Alright honey?" He asked. I could hear the smile in his voice even though he was behind me.

"Lovely. Although... something has been bothering me," I said. He span me round.

"What is it?" he asked, his voice full of concern.

"Well..." I looked to the side. How to phrase this... I thought. I screwed up my face and said quickly, "Someone-has-beaten-up-our-son-and-daughter-while-I-was-in-hospital-and-I-need-to-find-out-who-because-otherwise... otherwise..." I faltered, not knowing what to say next.

"Someone's beaten up our children? While you were in hospital? How? Why?" He saw that I was crying and wrapped me up in his arms. I said that I was fine, and then told him everything that I knew.

He was furious, though not at me, thankfully.

"I need some air," he uttered, before leaving. I shot a helpless glance at him, and he stared darkly back at me. There was something else in the look though... I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Guilt? the tiny voice at the back of my mind suggested, but I instantly squashed it, and ate the stir-fry by myself.

***

Well, I thought. Let's get down to business. First I would have to phone the hospital and see who visited Fi while I was in a separate ward. I thought of something, feeling a rush of excitement. Maybe Fi hadn't said much because she was in a coma! She wouldn't remember that, of course... and then I would have to phone up Mrs Ruchton and ask (politely) who had visited Nathan.

I dialled the hospital's number and waited patiently. A woman's voice answered, and I got straight to the point.

"Hello, my name is Rebecca Wilkinson. I would like to know if anyone visited my daughter Fiona while she was in hospital, and their names." She began to argue, but I pressed on. "As I am her Mother, a feel it to be a right for me to know as she is not able to make decisions on her own - let alone decide who is to see her. And also, shouldn't you have asked me first? Perhaps I could press charges against you," I finished, feeling triumphant.

"Ok," she said meekly. There was typing and clicks before she replied.

"Oh yes," she said. "It was Daniel Wilkinson."

My heart thudded, and I quickly thanked her before hanging up. I was shaking a little bit, and my shoulders felt heavy under a sudden weight. I told myself not to jump to any conclusions, and then phoned up Mrs Ruchton.

"Hello?" she asked frostily.

"Mrs Ruchton, hello. It's Rebecca," I said.

"Well the children are busy at the moment-" she started, but I interrupted.

"Sorry but I'm not phoning for that. I was just wondering who visited you while Fi and I were in hospital," I said.

"Oh!" her voice suddenly changed. It sounded a lot friendlier, as though she was in a dream. "A lovely person he was, very friendly, played with Nathan so nicely, I left him alone for a bit of father to son time..."

"Was it Daniel?" I asked breathlessly.

"Of course! Who else would be Nathan's father?" her voice suddenly grew suspicious.

I wasn't listening. The phone dropped out of my hands.

Daniel had beaten up Fi and Nathan.